So I got a level 5 on my sl chem exam, with a mark or 86%. I retaking grade 12 chem in summer school to bump up into the 90%s.

Do American universities (specifically California, like UCLA) care if I retake the course. Will the accept the higher mark.

CAUSE I READ SOMETHING ONLINE... and they said they don’t accept the retaken mark if it’s already higher than a C for a-g courses. WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY a-g courses??? (UCLA website image below)

I’m confused if I should drop the summer school course and keep my current mark or bump it up if it benefits me.

btw... I don’t live in America, so will that also affect the outlook on retakes a course during summer school ?

84D8B5C7-9572-47E2-B373-EFA21C620C8A.jpeg

To further KW,

From what I understand, A-G is a UC gen. ed. sort of thing. 

American universities generally don't care about your new grade when you retake high school classes in high school. The old grade still is the one factored into your GPA when they look at admissions stuff. 

15 hours ago, kw0573 said:

I can only answer the a-g. See https://www.ucop.edu/agguide/a-g-requirements/. Chemistry is an a-g course.

9 hours ago, IB_taking_over said:

To further KW,

From what I understand, A-G is a UC gen. ed. sort of thing. 

American universities generally don't care about your new grade when you retake high school classes in high school. The old grade still is the one factored into your GPA when they look at admissions stuff. 

So chemistry is an a-g course. Thanks for the input!