What's more important, IA or EE?

XXuni_loverXx

The stronger topic should be assigned to EE. I wrote my math EE over two months and the IA over a weekend. However the IA specifically asks for connections between math topics, but it is not required in EE.

Edited by kw0573

It depends. Typically EE would be considered more important since you need it to pass IB (obviously), and a good EE could potentially give you more points than a good IA. However, some universities might not care about your EE grade (if that's your concern) as long as you pass, but that would depend on the specific university. In that scenario a good IA might be better than a good EE.

13 hours ago, XXuni_loverXx said:

As of right now, I have two really great topics, one greater than the other, for my Math EE and Math HL IA. Since I was looking for topics, I decided to research for both together but now I don't know what to assign with the stronger topic.

Since the EE is longer than an IA, choose the topic for which you have more research for your EE. If you can talk about one topic for longer than the other, that should be your EE topic, as you have to include more depth to your essay. An IA can get away with a slightly weaker topic (they give you a lot of points for engagement and presentation in the IA), but you really need a good EE topic if you want to score high.

Well I'm currently equally in depth in both topics, but one is more of an exploration/investigation with a practical apporach kind of project than the other which is a more theory and multiple math topics based project.

I like both topics equally but I'm assuming that unis will be more insterested in my EE since it has more general importance in the IB. So taking that in consideration as well, should I go with the practical exploration project for my EE and the theoretical + variety explaining for my IA?

I feel that you should work on both. After doing research, the one you know better and can explain in greater detail, should be the EE. I swapped them 3 months before they were due because I got stuck on both but one was on the early stages and the other I had a working knowledge. So the one I know more about became EE. Eventually I just picked an entirely new IA, one significantly lower in difficulty.