ACT Reading or general tips?

Ava123

Hey guys,

Anyone have any tips for the Reading section for the ACT. Or any tips in general for the overall exam (like what formulas we need to know or common mistakes on the English section). Reading is my worst part, I don’t know how to improve from the practice exams.

Thanks in advance 

11 hours ago, Ava123 said:

Hey guys,

Anyone have any tips for the Reading section for the ACT. Or any tips in general for the overall exam (like what formulas we need to know or common mistakes on the English section). Reading is my worst part, I don’t know how to improve from the practice exams.

Thanks in advance 

After a certain point I wouldn't bother focusing on improving Reading, unless you're already getting 36s on all the other sections. Imo Science is the easiest to improve, followed by Math, and then its either English or Reading depending on the person, however there are a lot more rules/formulas to remember for English so that might be a little easier.

Basically, if you want to improve your overall composite score higher, it'd be easier to improve those aforementioned sections as opposed to Reading. My suggestion to improve Reading is to think carefully what the author's purpose might be, and to really understand what the passage is getting at. Don't go for complex interpretations e.g. social criticism, but just try to understand the narrative purpose of the paragraph -- is it to describe a certain situation, character, explore an argument etc.  Then answer questions accordingly. Another tip is to skim through all the questions of a passage before reading it so you know what to look for, but it won't be as effective if you're aiming for a 35 or 36 on the section. 

1 hour ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

After a certain point I wouldn't bother focusing on improving Reading, unless you're already getting 36s on all the other sections. Imo Science is the easiest to improve, followed by Math, and then its either English or Reading depending on the person, however there are a lot more rules/formulas to remember for English so that might be a little easier.

Basically, if you want to improve your overall composite score higher, it'd be easier to improve those aforementioned sections as opposed to Reading. My suggestion to improve Reading is to think carefully what the author's purpose might be, and to really understand what the passage is getting at. Don't go for complex interpretations e.g. social criticism, but just try to understand the narrative purpose of the paragraph -- is it to describe a certain situation, character, explore an argument etc.  Then answer questions accordingly. Another tip is to skim through all the questions of a passage before reading it so you know what to look for, but it won't be as effective if you're aiming for a 35 or 36 on the section. 

Thanks for the advice!

What rules/formula’s are you referring to for the English section? Could you elaborate on that?

46 minutes ago, Ava123 said:

Thanks for the advice!

What rules/formula’s are you referring to for the English section? Could you elaborate on that?

Just look up SAT/ACT grammar rules, punctuation rules, clauses etc.

Alternate between memorizing rules and practicing questions for a week or so and you should see an increase in your English score.