HL Literature to SL Lit, meaning HL Bio and HL Chem?

roseh

So I am planning to be taking a veterinary course in the future, which means that I will need to take at least HL Bio and SL Chem. The subjects I have chose to do so far are HL Biology, HL Geography, HL Literature, SL Chemistry, SL Japanese and SL Maths. The reason I am worried is because the entry requirements for courses similar to veterinary sciences (from the universities that I am interested in) don't need HL English. This means that I could possibly just change to SL Lit and HL Chem. 

My question is, is 2 HL sciences too hard? Should I just stick to SL Chem and HL Bio or change to HL Bio and HL Chem, moving my English course from HL to SL. I feel like doing HL English (im not the strongest at english either) is kind of not relevant for me and its just gonna make my life harder... 

Any recommendations or tips? Thanks (hope this wasn't confusing). 

Basically if you have taken previous courses in biology and chemistry that have some overlap with the HL syllabi, then you should be fine. If for example you have not taken chemistry before and you are bad at math, then it could be troublesome (because of time spent in Math SL, not because of math in chemistry). If you have taken a year of high school chemistry, and do well in math, then you'll be fine. 

I did HL Literature and I thought it was really hard. English has been a first language for me since I was around 10. Then again I did Chemistry HL and thought that was hard as well. >.< 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 5:44 AM, roseh said:

So I am planning to be taking a veterinary course in the future, which means that I will need to take at least HL Bio and SL Chem. The subjects I have chose to do so far are HL Biology, HL Geography, HL Literature, SL Chemistry, SL Japanese and SL Maths. The reason I am worried is because the entry requirements for courses similar to veterinary sciences (from the universities that I am interested in) don't need HL English. This means that I could possibly just change to SL Lit and HL Chem. 

My question is, is 2 HL sciences too hard? Should I just stick to SL Chem and HL Bio or change to HL Bio and HL Chem, moving my English course from HL to SL. I feel like doing HL English (im not the strongest at english either) is kind of not relevant for me and its just gonna make my life harder... 

Any recommendations or tips? Thanks (hope this wasn't confusing). 

If you are better at Chemistry than English, you might as well choose Chemistry HL. Having two HL sciences is a lot of work, but if you are good at sciences then you should perform better than if you do more social science subjects. Also, if you want to take a veterinary course after IB, two HL sciences are likely to prepare you better than doing English HL instead, so it will benefit you in the future. 

• Like 1

If you are good at chemistry then go with HL chemistry otherwise don't. If you think you are at same level at both then go with HL English instead of Chemistry because it more  easy to mange HL English compare to  HL chemistry.

Incase you are still confused and you need expert advice then follow- IB Tutor they can more brief you in this scenario.

• Like 1