Do I Quailify??

keeley45733

If I'm not mistaken, you have to be a resident to qualify for in-state tuition. To qualify as a California resident, you have to meet some of the following conditions:

• You are a U.S. citizen
  • You are a permanent resident or other immigrant, or
  • You are a nonimmigrant who is not precluded from establishing a domicile in the United States. Nonimmigrants who are not precluded from establishing domicile in the U.S. include those who hold valid visas of the following types: A, E, G, H1, H4, I, K, L, O1, O3, R, or V
  • You have been conferred lawful presence in the U.S. through Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and hold an approved I-821D

"You must be physically present in California for more than one year (366 days) immediately prior to the residence determination date of the term for which resident classification is requested".

For more info, check this link (where I got all the info above from): https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/criteria.html

So I don't really understand some of what you just wrote, but I was born in California so I am an american citizen. Also, since they say immediately would that disqualify me if I'm not there during my senior year? Although I'm a citizen, have a drivers license and have lived there for more then a year before ?

1 hour ago, keeley45733 said:

So I don't really understand some of what you just wrote, but I was born in California so I am an american citizen. Also, since they say immediately would that disqualify me if I'm not there during my senior year? Although I'm a citizen, have a drivers license and have lived there for more then a year before ?

I think your best option is to email a couple of California colleges and ask them directly. They might give you different answers, or the same one. Either way, since its the college who decides which fees you will pay, you should just contact the admissions team and find out. They will be the most helpful source of information you can get.

• Thanks 1