Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hii!  My HL's are Biology, Chem and Business management. MATHEMATICS SL, English sl and Hindi sl. I had physics up till grade 10 (IGCSE A*). Can I major in Computer science with these subjects in the US (colleges like Georgia tech, Purdue, Wisconsin Madison, etc) (or Canada)? I know they review each applicant holistically, but still subject do matter...

 

Also roughly how many points (out of 45) will I require to be competitive for admission in Georgia tech!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, YoDaddy said:

Hii!  My HL's are Biology, Chem and Business management. MATHEMATICS SL, English sl and Hindi sl. I had physics up till grade 10 (IGCSE A*). Can I major in Computer science with these subjects in the US (colleges like Georgia tech, Purdue, Wisconsin Madison, etc) (or Canada)? I know they review each applicant holistically, but still subject do matter...

 

Also roughly how many points (out of 45) will I require to be competitive for admission in Georgia tech!

I had friends with predicted 40+/45 including Math HLs and didn't get into GT.  After a certain point, about 36/45 or so, your IB points will no longer really matter. It's also definitely tough to apply to CS with those HLs.

Not all is lost however -- I suggest trying to study and excel in the SAT subject tests for Math II and Physics. SAT Math II can make up for the fact you didn't take Math HL as really a good number of applicants only took AP Calc AB which is the equivalent of Math SL. SAT Physics will demonstrate your proficiency in Physics -- at least more so than you would had you not taken the subject test. Aim for 730+ on both and you're gucci. 

All these aspects, then maintaining a solid academic performance in classes along with some extracurriculars related to programming should put you in good stead. Lastly, you might want to apply Early Action to GT/Purdue/UW Madison to maximize your chances of getting in -- if you apply EA/ED, I'd say your chances are a lot better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I had friends with predicted 40+/45 including Math HLs and didn't get into GT.  After a certain point, about 36/45 or so, your IB points will no longer really matter. It's also definitely tough to apply to CS with those HLs.

Not all is lost however -- I suggest trying to study and excel in the SAT subject tests for Math II and Physics. SAT Math II can make up for the fact you didn't take Math HL as really a good number of applicants only took AP Calc AB which is the equivalent of Math SL. SAT Physics will demonstrate your proficiency in Physics -- at least more so than you would had you not taken the subject test. Aim for 730+ on both and you're gucci. 

All these aspects, then maintaining a solid academic performance in classes along with some extracurriculars related to programming should put you in good stead. Lastly, you might want to apply Early Action to GT/Purdue/UW Madison to maximize your chances of getting in -- if you apply EA/ED, I'd say your chances are a lot better. 

Yeah i've already registered for math II, but do I really need physics? Cause with the ee and ia's due, i am gonna have a tough time doing it. But if physics is essential, then i shall do it.

Edited by YoDaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YoDaddy said:

Yeah i've already registered for math II, but do I really need physics? Cause with the ee and ia's due, i am gonna have a tough time doing it. But if physics is essential, then i shall do it.

You should double check requirements on their admission pages for CS. Physics may very well not be "essential" and your Biology + Chemistry background could be all the STEM proficiency you need. Everyone has had similar problems with standardized testing and internal school deadlines -- I'm not saying you should force yourself to still take SAT Physics, but you need to do the research and confirm whether or not you do need it for the schools you want to apply to. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is more important to outperform in the writing supplements in your applications. Your subjects are fine but you really need to sell yourself to say how you are a stronger candidate than some of those who have taken math HL or computer science.

Physics subject test is somewhat unnecessary unless the school requires it. Some schools just want math and any one in bio/chem /physics so just pick whichever is more comfortable.

You can also consider Carnegie Mellon, very nice school for CS. Multiple students from my high school would get accepted there each year but tuition is around the high end (so none of us would really go). In Canada, Waterloo is also very prestigious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.