Extended Essay Who???

extrania

Okay, so I'm doing my extended essay in history on the effect of religion on movie censorship but I've hit a road block, which is bad considering I haven't even started. I don't know how to start my essay at all and my teacher didn't really help. We don't get textbooks or anything to work with so I'm really running off of whatever I find online. If anyone could help me with an outline for my EE I would happily offer you my first born (not literally). Please and thank you!! 

Hey - there is a really useful IB guide on this webpage which might be able to give you a rough idea of where to start with your EE. I would highly recommend starting with a bit of research and really focusing in your RQ on one or two films. Watch the films and see what kind of data you can get from that and from researching the context in which they were produced! Hope this helps :)

https://www.eliteib.co.uk/ib-resources.php

• Thanks 1

I'll put it bluntly: you're not ready to write your outline yet. The reason why you feel so roadblocked is probably because your topic is too broad. You could first focus your topic more, perhaps on a specific time period, a specific geographical location, and a specific religion. (You might also want to consider talking about the culture affects movie censorship, if you want to talk about more stuff.) Then, turn that topic into an actual research question, and do a lot of research (a LOT). Get as many resources as you can, go through all of them, etc. By the time you finish reading all of your sources you should have enough content just in your head to write a good outline. Good luck!

22 hours ago, Sheepsie said:

I'll put it bluntly: you're not ready to write your outline yet. The reason why you feel so roadblocked is probably because your topic is too broad. You could first focus your topic more, perhaps on a specific time period, a specific geographical location, and a specific religion. (You might also want to consider talking about the culture affects movie censorship, if you want to talk about more stuff.) Then, turn that topic into an actual research question, and do a lot of research (a LOT). Get as many resources as you can, go through all of them, etc. By the time you finish reading all of your sources you should have enough content just in your head to write a good outline. Good luck!

I wasn't clear in my original post. My plan is to analyze two similar scenes from two different movies (both American) that cam out in two different time periods, analyze the influence Christianity had on society during those two time periods, study the censorship guidelines of the two periods and see if there is a correlation. My counterclaim of sorts is that it was the personal history of directors or writers that impacted the censorship of the movies rather than religion. I just don't know how to write the essay for it. 

Edited by extrania
  • Good Luck 1

Hey! I'm in the middle of my EE too and I had a huge problem with figuring out how to write it. I found this website called Thesis Whisperer, which is a blog designed to help students write their thesis. Okay, so the EE isn't anywhere close to a thesis, but that specific post I linked had a very useful method for outlining your essay. I followed the instructions as closely as possible and ended up with about 2000 words of planning, which was so detailed that I was able to start wherever I wanted without going off track! My biggest problem is the stress of starting an essay, but when I am in 'planning mode' so to speak, I don't feel as stressed about writing perfectly, and I can generate a lot of ideas and good text.

Basically, a very detailed outline is the way to get past a roadblock in starting, in my opinion.

• Like 1