Help me for next year

JohnWick

Hi I'm taking ib physics and ib chemistry sl at my school next year both at once. Any advice and I mean anything at all. Also is there any way to prepare for it over the summer because I'm scared. Anybody whos taken them before please help me, whats the toughest part about each course. How can i overcome it?

To prepare for chem and physics over the summer, you could head over to Khan academy to learn some of the content from the two courses in advance. Be warned though that some of the the variables used (in physics equations) and specific topics covered in each ib course will probably be a bit different from those in Khan Academy. (Curriculum is a bit different but it's definitely good practice. My friends and I often go on Khan academy when we get confused) You could probably also search up the curriculum for each ib course online, then go on Youtube to find ib-specific tutorial videos once you get a feel for each course.

I'm still in the middle of ib physics sl and ib chem hl, so I don't have enough hindsight to really say what the hardest part of each course is, but so far I'd say that Organic Chemistry (naming and basic concepts) and Stoichiometry was pretty challenging for Chemistry and Electricity was a bit confusing for Physics. A bit of advice for when your courses actually start: DO YOUR HOMEWORK. EVERY DAY. If you don't, you will end up struggling to catch up. Whenever I messed up in those courses, it was always because I missed a chunk of the homework and didn't get enough practice doing the questions. 

To be honest, though, I don't think you really need to worry too much. The courses are manageable as long as you make sure you keep up during the actual course (and as long as you have good teachers, but that's out of your control. Do what is in your power to succeed, and don't worry about the rest.).

Good luck! You got this!

10 hours ago, Sheepsie said:

To prepare for chem and physics over the summer, you could head over to Khan academy to learn some of the content from the two courses in advance. Be warned though that some of the the variables used (in physics equations) and specific topics covered in each ib course will probably be a bit different from those in Khan Academy. (Curriculum is a bit different but it's definitely good practice. My friends and I often go on Khan academy when we get confused) You could probably also search up the curriculum for each ib course online, then go on Youtube to find ib-specific tutorial videos once you get a feel for each course.

I'm still in the middle of ib physics sl and ib chem hl, so I don't have enough hindsight to really say what the hardest part of each course is, but so far I'd say that Organic Chemistry (naming and basic concepts) and Stoichiometry was pretty challenging for Chemistry and Electricity was a bit confusing for Physics. A bit of advice for when your courses actually start: DO YOUR HOMEWORK. EVERY DAY. If you don't, you will end up struggling to catch up. Whenever I messed up in those courses, it was always because I missed a chunk of the homework and didn't get enough practice doing the questions. 

To be honest, though, I don't think you really need to worry too much. The courses are manageable as long as you make sure you keep up during the actual course (and as long as you have good teachers, but that's out of your control. Do what is in your power to succeed, and don't worry about the rest.).

Good luck! You got this!

Please don't use Khan academy for physics, maths and chemistry.  You can head over to youtube and try videos of Richard Thornley and Andrew Weng for Chemistry and use Chris Doner and Studynova for physics. You can prepare the content in your book within this year. Prepare your IA topics beforehand so that you can have a headstart and finish your IA's than your classmates. IF you are taking EE in physics, even prepare your topics for it beforehand. Note: always have some backup topics if your IA and EE topics are rejectes by your supervisor/teacher.

Good Luck!

All the best in getting a 45.....

Edited by IBZOMBIE9840

On 8/9/2018 at 4:10 AM, IBZOMBIE9840 said:

Please don't use Khan academy for physics, maths and chemistry.

I agree you shouldn't use it to actually learn and study the course materials for those courses (they don't follow IB curriculum and don't include many practice questions, which are very very important for those particular courses), but I think Khan Academy is still alright for getting a general feel for the course in advance. My bad for not clarifying. 

Also, if you would like to actually learn some of the course material in advance, you can use the syllabuses to focus and organize your learning:

Physics Syllabus: https://blog.prepscholar.com/complete-ib-physics-syllabus-sl-hl

Chemistry Syllabus: https://blog.prepscholar.com/ib-chemistry-syllabus-hl-sl

I'm currently taking Phy and Chem HL and the way I revise and cope is by doing the exercises your teacher sets for you. Even if he/she lists 5 exercises, do more to make sure your understanding is solid. Don't go looking for the answers and then say to yourself "I knew it. That was exactly what I was going to do" because it obviously wasn't. Instead research more on why you didn't get it and build a solid foundation on the topic. If you understand the questions your teachers set for you then you should be set on track since they normally know the paces that every individual is capable of going at. Lastly, don't sit in the back of the class pretending you understand everything. Ask questions if you must and if you still don't understand it, write it down in your notebook and research more about it at home. Doing these small tips will help you so much. Good luck and most importantly, enjoy one of the most rigorous courses in the planet :)

P.S : Don't forget CAS and TOK XD

• Like 1