The gap between HL&SL

lucyxkim

Hello

Can anyone tell me how big the gap between chem HL&SL and econ HL&SL are?

I'm currently taking math, chem, physics HL & english langlit, mandarin B, econ SL.

Would dropping chem from HL to SL and switching econ SL to HL reduce the workload? 

I already feel quite overwhelmed by the amount of work from math&physics HL

I recommend staying with Chem HL since you are considering engineering. I feel that Chem HL is easiest compared to Physics and Math so best bet is to improve in those two. Physics is hardest at the beginning.

I believe econ in your year 2020 is either last year or first year of new syllabus so it could be hard. Id say difference between sl in hl econ is smaller than chem. Workload obviously depends on how the courses are structured in your school.

• Like 1

Yes but you have to consider that 90000 students for May session are in US/Canada (total IB students, not necessarily math or physics stidents) and some of them may be IB candidates only and.have already taken AP Physics or AP Calc. Most European students I know, at max, takes GCSE or iGCSE and thats just not quite at AP level. My point is that statistics may be misleading.  They take AP chem too but content wise its a lot different with organic and such.

27 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

Yes but you have to consider that 90000 students for May session are in US/Canada (total IB students, not necessarily math or physics stidents) and some of them may be IB candidates only and.have already taken AP Physics or AP Calc. Most European students I know, at max, takes GCSE or iGCSE and thats just not quite at AP level. My point is that statistics may be misleading.  They take AP chem too but content wise its a lot different with organic and such.

True. I am thinking of applying to unis in the UK. My parents want to prioritize getting a good IB score rather than having the perfect combination of HL&SL bc I have get into a university in the first place. So I was thinking about dropping chem from HL to SL and switching econ from SL to HL and take AP chem possibly. 

Good point. But I dont think its wise to change HL Chem to SL only to take up AP. Either just take HL chem or SL and dont add another of same subject. I also think if you are feeling pressure in math and physics then find way to cope with that. Taking Econ HL will help just a tiny bit.

3 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Good point. But I dont think its wise to change HL Chem to SL only to take up AP. Either just take HL chem or SL and dont add another of same subject. I also think if you are feeling pressure in math and physics then find way to cope with that. Taking Econ HL will help just a tiny bit.

Is there anyway I can compensate for lowering chem from HL to SL, like an alternative of some sort?

I think it's really your decision. UK unis really emphasizes grades. You have to realize that AP coincides with IB exams, so essentially to do AP chem you have to finish that in year one (unless you want to take the chance, hoping they are on different dates).

Many engineerings in UK do not require two sciences (eg Oxford). You dont have to necessarily compensate for taking SL chem.

Physics and Chem you have to really know the content, asking loads of questions whenever you are even a bit confused. It's nice to do some conceptual problems, to develop some kind of intuition for each topic. Math HL is essentially just doing problems after problems, explore questions of different styles and see how very similar questions may have very different solutions.

Well I'm also taking the same subjects as you are. HL : Math, Physics, Chemistry -- SL : Economics, Dutch B, English LAL. I can say with a huge emphasise that dropping Chem from HL --> SL is a huge change in terms of workload. The only difference between SL and HL is just the deeper understanding, for example, understanding why this happens when this happens. I know people who do Eco HL and I personally think getting better grades is just your ability to have an interest in the subject you picked. If you're really interested in Economics and do Eco HL then the chances you'll get 7's are really high considering your ability to understand the content is also high. I know a friend who in the last year of MYP (before DP) got 6's or 7's (out of 8's) in chemistry said that the course and workload for Chemistry HL is insane and so by dropping it to SL can really make a difference. It's just how interested you are in the subject that changes the grades you get. Don't take a HL just for the sake of wanting to get into that university when that SL could help you by 1 or 2 points. If engineering doesn't turn out to be your interest in a couple years then at least you'll have the option to go into a business school. For example, my thoughts on engineering have also changed. In the end, it's up to you.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/12/2018 at 9:47 AM, lucyxkim said:

Hello

Can anyone tell me how big the gap between chem HL&SL and econ HL&SL are?

I'm currently taking math, chem, physics HL & english langlit, mandarin B, econ SL.

Would dropping chem from HL to SL and switching econ SL to HL reduce the workload? 

I already feel quite overwhelmed by the amount of work from math&physics HL

Exactly,I think that it will significantly reduce the workload.

In fact, the Econ HL will only beyond the SL in some calculations, and it's easy to deal with it. However, chem HL will have many lab reports to do. One of my friend said that he selected chem HL, but when he was facing the exams, the lab report made him out of breath.