Jump to content

Which calculator???

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I'm soon to be an IB student and I'm having quite a hard time figuring out which calculator to buy. So I hoped you could help me. My teacher send me a list of these calculators that are fit for IB but I cannot choose which one to buy. So if any of you have any tips/recommendations/information on which one should I buy I would be super thankful for those. Thank you in advance!

Kalkuliatoriu sarasas.docx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

I'd asked this question to my math HL teacher a while ago, and she said she recommended the TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C, or TI 84 Plus CE. Personally, I ended up going with the TI 84 Plus CE, because it seems to be the newest model in the TI 84 series, but the other ones work just fine if you don't have a large enough budget to get the CE.

I previously owned the TI nspire non-CAS, but I found it much more difficult to use than the TI 84 because the buttons were very unfamiliar to me and took a while to learn. I used this scientific calculator (https://education.ti.com/en/products/calculators/scientific-calculators/ti-30x-iis) in the past, and I found that the TI 84 has similar buttons and is very easy to master having had the experience of using that TI scientific calculator.

While the nspire seems fancier, I think getting any one of the TI 84 calculators would be the best option-- maybe the Plus CE if you can? Teachers would generally be more familiar with the TI 83 or 84, as the nspire is still rather new. My non-IB math teachers in the past had trouble using the nspire when I had it and needed help graphing something, for instance.

Hope this helps, and best of luck! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Solstice said:

Hello!

I'd asked this question to my math HL teacher a while ago, and she said she recommended the TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C, or TI 84 Plus CE. Personally, I ended up going with the TI 84 Plus CE, because it seems to be the newest model in the TI 84 series, but the other ones work just fine if you don't have a large enough budget to get the CE.

I previously owned the TI nspire non-CAS, but I found it much more difficult to use than the TI 84 because the buttons were very unfamiliar to me and took a while to learn. I used this scientific calculator (https://education.ti.com/en/products/calculators/scientific-calculators/ti-30x-iis) in the past, and I found that the TI 84 has similar buttons and is very easy to master having had the experience of using that TI scientific calculator.

While the nspire seems fancier, I think getting any one of the TI 84 calculators would be the best option-- maybe the Plus CE if you can? Teachers would generally be more familiar with the TI 83 or 84, as the nspire is still rather new. My non-IB math teachers in the past had trouble using the nspire when I had it and needed help graphing something, for instance.

Hope this helps, and best of luck! :D

Thank youuu so much for this info it was very useful.  And one more question. Because if from Lithuania I have to buy the calculator from an online shop so I wondered do you know if Amazon is good for that? Or where did you buy your calculator from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IBZOMBIE9840 said:

Actually while buying from amazon there might be some kind of defect so i would rather say you to buy from an authorised  TI shops.

Yeah I was thinking the same but amazon is linked in their website as a place to buy the calculator so I thought maybe it was a good choice.https://education.ti.com/en/purchase/where-to-buy?category=graphing Why buying a calculator has to be this hard :DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, IBZOMBIE9840 said:

Actually while buying from amazon there might be some kind of defect so i would rather say you to buy from an authorised  TI shops.

Amazon actually has pretty amazing customer services, so if the calculator you get is defective they will send you a replacement. I ordered my TI and all the textbooks from Amazon back in the day and everything came to me just fine (from UK to Poland). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaby said:

Amazon actually has pretty amazing customer services, so if the calculator you get is defective they will send you a replacement. I ordered my TI and all the textbooks from Amazon back in the day and everything came to me just fine (from UK to Poland). 

Ok. I am just saying the experience which I had

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sophiee said:

Thank youuu so much for this info it was very useful.  And one more question. Because if from Lithuania I have to buy the calculator from an online shop so I wondered do you know if Amazon is good for that? Or where did you buy your calculator from?

No problem, happy to hear that I could help! ^^

I realize that your question has already been answered, but I'll also vouch for Amazon, because I do think that your best bet would be buying from them if these calculators aren't as accessible where you live. And yes, the calculator-buying struggle is real! D:

Because I live in Canada, there are a few stores where I can physically purchase and pick-up graphing calculators, so using an online store wasn't completely necessary in my case. However, when I cross-referenced the prices with Amazon (at the time, I was also considering buying mine online), I found that Amazon prices were actually a bit cheaper than the in-store price, but I just ended up buying mine in-person because I was too impatient to wait for shipping lol. So yes, I agree with Gaby-- Amazon is great!

While I've never purchased any calculators from Amazon, I have bought other school supplies from them, and everything seemed to go smoothly-- I hope the same goes for your calculator purchase! :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2018 at 3:04 AM, Solstice said:

No problem, happy to hear that I could help! ^^

I realize that your question has already been answered, but I'll also vouch for Amazon, because I do think that your best bet would be buying from them if these calculators aren't as accessible where you live. And yes, the calculator-buying struggle is real! D:

Because I live in Canada, there are a few stores where I can physically purchase and pick-up graphing calculators, so using an online store wasn't completely necessary in my case. However, when I cross-referenced the prices with Amazon (at the time, I was also considering buying mine online), I found that Amazon prices were actually a bit cheaper than the in-store price, but I just ended up buying mine in-person because I was too impatient to wait for shipping lol. So yes, I agree with Gaby-- Amazon is great!

While I've never purchased any calculators from Amazon, I have bought other school supplies from them, and everything seemed to go smoothly-- I hope the same goes for your calculator purchase! :D

Thank you so much! I hope so too :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.