Starting the Pre-IB for my freshman year, what do I need for supplies?

Kiarra

At least 4 Binders, a notebook for every class, folders for important documents, pens, highlighters, pencils. In my 9th grade year (and my only year so far) i nearly flunked every class because of a lack of organization and space to store notes and homework. I would highly recommend not having your backpack like mine where most papers were crushed under other papers

• Like 1

^^ Agreed, organization is key! I'd recommend having a binder for each class (or folders if your backpack doesn't fit tons of binders), a notebook for each class, pencils, pens, erasers, highlighters, loose leaf paper, a pencil case, planner/agenda, and maybe a few other things like sticky notes/flashcards. If you are taking an advanced math class I'd also recommend getting a good calculator, like a TI-84.  

• Like 2

I like folders. Yes with binder you get that clunk every time you open clunk three ring, and that sense of organisation but it does get annoying. It is a lot faster to just stuff it in a folder and organize at home. For most subjects, just periodically unload and keep some handouts at home. Plus not every teacher hole punch.

Most freshman math classes dont allow graphic calculator, just a standard scientific will do (most complicated function you may need is a solver of system of equations, most stats functions are not needed.) I started using a TI 84 in senior when I rented from school. In college i downgraded to a generic casio because most college/uni courses do not want graphing calculator. 

You also need some good sharpeners, pencils are still quite prevalent. If you can get one of use multicolor pens (click and change color) could be useful, but otherwise just always stock a red, a black and a blue pen.

• Like 3

I agree with kw0573 in that folders are more convenient, and while I personally prefer them over binders, I think you should just stick with whatever you used prior to the IB-- as long as it has worked for you and helped with whatever you needed to organize. Everybody is different, so just use whatever works for you! ^^

My pencil case tends to be over-stuffed with a plethora of things like lead pencils, lead, erasers, all sorts of colored pens and highlighters, white out, glue, scissors... but just the basics of having a few pens, pencils, lead (for lead pencils), an eraser, and one highlighter should be alright!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would say a planner/ agenda is super important. There will be loads of busy periods where you'll have too many deadlines to remember. So having a way to schedule it physically helps so much. 

Also, I assume you will be working with a gadget? Make sure you have all the right apps like Khan Academy for revision on any subject, Duolingo for languages, Google Docs and Drive etc.