History IA general questions

Sheepsie

Hey everyone! Was wondering if it's possible to do a history IA about chinese/other asian histories, and what kinds of topics people learn within those areas. My school only teaches western history, but I think there were some other topics that are taught in other schools, so I would like to know what kinds of things might be appropriate for investigation in eastern history. 

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Sheepsie said:

Hey everyone! Was wondering if it's possible to do a history IA about chinese/other asian histories, and what kinds of topics people learn within those areas. My school only teaches western history, but I think there were some other topics that are taught in other schools, so I would like to know what kinds of things might be appropriate for investigation in eastern history. 

Thanks in advance!

Hey! I am not sure if the rules have changed, but when I did IB History, it was totally fine to focus on stuff that you didn't learn in class. I would ask your teacher just to be sure of things. My IA was on Japanese history and I know other people who looked at Japanese/Korean/Chinese history even though we focused on Europe and North America in class. I got a high 6 on the IA, and I think the others got a good mark on it too! 

• Like 1

@ShootingStar16 Thank you! Another question, if you don't mind: what kinds of topics within Japanese/Korean/Chinese history do you think would be appropriate? I don't know much about Eastern history, so I don't really know what people/events were significant. Could you recommend any time period to research?

Thank you very much!

51 minutes ago, Sheepsie said:

@ShootingStar16 Thank you! Another question, if you don't mind: what kinds of topics within Japanese/Korean/Chinese history do you think would be appropriate? I don't know much about Eastern history, so I don't really know what people/events were significant. Could you recommend any time period to research?

Thank you very much!

It really depends on what you're interested in. My classmates and I focused on modern history, as that was what we did in class for European and North American history (like 19th-20th century). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShootingStar16 said:

It really depends on what you're interested in. My classmates and I focused on modern history, as that was what we did in class for European and North American history (like 19th-20th century). 

Do you think we would be allowed to investigate events much older? 

Hi! As said before, if it is okay with your teacher, there shouldn't really be a problem with researching things you haven't been taught directly in class.

My school teaches Chinese history (Mao Tse Tung specifically) for a whole semester, and if you want to do a research based on Chinese history, I would say his period of time and the history/events surrounding his rising and fall are very interesting. I'm actually doing my IA on Mao's politics on women, which are really interesting and completely not something I expected. I'm still playing around with the research question, but yeah...

Check out Mao! There are a bunch of great topics to research about him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingmandarines said:

I'm actually doing my IA on Mao's politics on women, which are really interesting and completely not something I expected. I'm still playing around with the research question, but yeah...

Check out Mao! There are a bunch of great topics to research about him.

I have wondered at times what happened to give women such equal standing with men in modern Chinese society, so I'm sure his policies on women really were very interesting. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks!

But I am kind of wary that topics based on the major dictators are a bit overused. What kinds of topics would you suggest me avoid, if I do decide on Mao's period? (or other 20th century dictators, for that matter?)