I'm currently writing my Extended Essay and have a few questions about citations and footnotes. Note: my school uses MLA 7.

When I use a source for the first time in an essay, must I write down the whole citation? If I then use it again later on, should I use an abbreviated version of the citation?

If I have several sentences from the same source, should I put the footnote at the end of the last sentence or multiple footnotes after every sentence?

Should I place my footnotes before or after a comma or full stop?

Can I put more than one footnote in a sentence? Additionally, if I have multiple footnotes in a sentence, should I put them before or after punctuation?

How should I reference websites in footnotes and abbreviated footnotes?

If I use information that I find in a book, but it comes from a different book that the author has cited, should I write in the footnote “[A diff source] , as quoted in [my source/the book]”?

In summary: what are the rules when creating footnotes and citations?

I am not terribly familiar with MLA, but I found this that might help you. http://www.asjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/MLA7.pdf

Generally, when I have to use MLA (I generally use Chicago) I use something similar to this in order to figure it out. If nothing else, your instructor will probably be able to help you. 

4 hours ago, Allemande135 said:

If I use information that I find in a book, but it comes from a different book that the author has cited, should I write in the footnote “[A diff source] , as quoted in [my source/the book]”?

Generally, my teacher's advice for this is to find the original source itself and quote directly from it. It's always better to have direct quotes.