The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics or Oxford for PPE, and my subject choices are on my sig.

Just wondering, will English B HL be a problem, btw I got A* for IGCSE Language A English ? And I'll be doing my EE in Korean(checked the stats in my school and there were more As in Korean than Economics....)

Taking English B HL, wrote my EE in History, have an offer for Law at Oxford. :)

Yeah but... isn't history sorta related to law??? I mean they are both human sciences...... whereas Korean is, well, completely unrelated to Economics...I don't know, one of the teachers at my school made a huge deal about this and tried to bully me into doing an EE in Economics...whatever, I want an A for EE. Thanks anyway.

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics or Oxford for PPE, and my subject choices are on my sig.

Just wondering, will English B HL be a problem, btw I got A* for IGCSE Language A English ? And I'll be doing my EE in Korean(checked the stats in my school and there were more As in Korean than Economics....)

Taking English B HL, wrote my EE in History, have an offer for Law at Oxford. :)

Yeah but... isn't history sorta related to law??? I mean they are both human sciences...... whereas Korean is, well, completely unrelated to Economics...I don't know, one of the teachers at my school made a huge deal about this and tried to bully me into doing an EE in Economics...whatever, I want an A for EE. Thanks anyway.

It's not necessary to do an EE in the degree you're applying for, but if it is related it'll help demonstrate your interest for the subject. Knowing UK unis, if anything is not related to your degree that don't bother dwelling on it.

No one even mentioned the fact that I wrote an EE. And I wouldn't say History is related to Law, is recommended due to skills it develops, but surely not related per se.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any experience with applying for medicine at Oxford? Is it true that you are in a less priviliged position as an IB student as you do not have any points from the GCSEs? Apart from that what would you say is the ratio of BMAT score:your resume?

EDIT: Also remembered one more thing: Even though the admissions website says that candidates are obliged to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level, would you say that candidates applying with HL Math have an advantage over HL Second science students?

Edited by AkirpapAnalif

Are the gcse and school academic transcripts very important? Both were average for mine (Straight As for GCSE with 1 a*) and my academic transcript was... underwhelming. However, my prelims and predicted grades are 44 points, and I am confident this will be achieved in the exam. How do you guys think the gcse and sch transcript will affect my chances for being accepted into PPE at oxford?

Straight A with 1 A* seems fine to me (though I don't have much experience with GCSEs, I applied without any pre-IB qualification). Academic transcripts will not be requested.

Does anyone have any experience with applying for medicine at Oxford? Is it true that you are in a less priviliged position as an IB student as you do not have any points from the GCSEs? Apart from that what would you say is the ratio of BMAT score:your resume?

EDIT: Also remembered one more thing: Even though the admissions website says that candidates are obliged to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level, would you say that candidates applying with HL Math have an advantage over HL Second science students?

Don't have much experience with medicine, but I do have experience with applying to Oxford without GCSE scores (for Law). Since I got an offer, I'd assume it didn't affect my chances.

If the website says and/or, I'd say you'd only have a slight advantage if you took both a second science and HL Maths, I don't see why HL Maths would be better than a second science since you're applying for medicine.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I need some help from MS or MEM students at Oxford: I have found in their website that application to this course includes writing Physics Aptitude Test. I just wanted to ask how hard it would be to write it for IB student having Physics only at Standard Level..?

• 2 months later...

So I have just started the Diploma Programme.

I will probably apply for History and Politics at Oxford and I am wondering if my subjects would be appealing when applying.

HL's are Swedish A1, English A2 and History.

SL's are French B, Biology, Maths and Philosophy.

I am sure that History as HL and Philosophy are useful subjects.

But are the languages really that important?

And a last question: is Maths at standard required?

So I have just started the Diploma Programme.

I will probably apply for History and Politics at Oxford and I am wondering if my subjects would be appealing when applying.

HL's are Swedish A1, English A2 and History.

SL's are French B, Biology, Maths and Philosophy.

I am sure that History as HL and Philosophy are useful subjects.

But are the languages really that important?

And a last question: is Maths at standard required?

All this information is available on the Oxford website here.

In essence, only History HL is 'recommended' for this course. Aside from History, studying Sociology, Politics or Government & Politics is considered beneficial, but not essential.

Your SLs are irrelevant and UK Universities don't care about your SL choices other than the fact that they boost your overall IB score to meet your offer (generally between 38-40 for Oxford).

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

so, as you might suppose, I want to apply to Cambridge/Oxford. I have very good grades (HL 7,7, 6+, 6+, SL 6, 7), it's not a problem for me, I have excellent GSCE-equivalent results, a few math competition diplomas, and attended a few extracurricular courses (programming recently, physics lectures for high school students, drawing). I like reading about physics and doing difficult physics problems, so I hope no physics question will surprise me. I will apply for engineering. I have still 1 year left and I am from Poland. Will my mother country influence the outcome of interview? Are the things I already have enough or is there something I need to do besides all these things? Anyone with experience? Any advice?

Edited by Isabelle07

Hi there,

so, as you might suppose, I want to apply to Cambridge/Oxford. I have very good grades (HL 7,7, 6+, 6+, SL 6, 7), it's not a problem for me, I have excellent GSCE-equivalent results, a few math competition diplomas, and attended a few extracurricular courses (programming recently, physics lectures for high school students, drawing). I like reading about physics and doing difficult physics problems, so I hope no physics question will surprise me. I will apply for engineering. I have still 1 year left and I am from Poland. Will my mother country influence the outcome of interview? Are the things I already have enough or is there something I need to do besides all these things? Anyone with experience? Any advice?

No, your mother country will not affect the outcome of your interview, especially when applying to a subject like Engineering. Oxford is a surprisingly international university. I'm from Poland too and I got in, so I guess that's saying something. However, although I suspect it's similar as I have friends there, I cannot speak about how Cambridge treats internationals.

• 3 months later...

I live really far away from Oxbridge (different continent, thousands of km away). If i get the grades needed and I'm offered an interview, would it be necessary to travel there for a face to face conversation? In other words, are there any video or telephone interviews?

Skype interviews are for sure available. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I live really far away from Oxbridge (different continent, thousands of km away). If i get the grades needed and I'm offered an interview, would it be necessary to travel there for a face to face conversation? In other words, are there any video or telephone interviews?

Skype interviews are for sure available. :)

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think that Skype interviews are more an Oxford than a Cambridge thing. I think that Cambridge prefers that you either trek it to England or you get interviewed by a team that sends out to your country/area (I got one in Australia, about 15 minutes away from where I live :) ). Having said that though, I'm fairly sure that telephone/Skype is an option most colleges would consider giving an international applicant because it does seem a bit ridiculous that so much effort would be wasted on planning for a face-to-face interview when glorious inventions like the internet exist!

Edit: I noticed now that you're from Uruguay. Since there's no local interview team in that continent, and it's quite a journey to get to England, I think that it would be reasonable to get a video/telephone interview.

Edited by flinquinnster

I've just started the International Baccalaureate, and I'm quite passionate about the subjects Philosophy, Politics and Economics. However, I am worried that my subject combination might prevent me from getting in, as I am not studying History or Mathematics at higher level (as I believe they recommend on the Oxford website.)

My subjects are:

HL Economics

HL Art

HL English

HL Physics (probably going to drop to Standard Level)

SL Maths

SL Spanish ab initio

Ignoring the other factors (intelligence, passion for your subject etc.) that contribute to being accepted by Oxford, would these subjects allow me to be accepted into Philosophy, Politics and Economics?

I've just started the International Baccalaureate, and I'm quite passionate about the subjects Philosophy, Politics and Economics. However, I am worried that my subject combination might prevent me from getting in, as I am not studying History or Mathematics at higher level (as I believe they recommend on the Oxford website.)

My subjects are:

HL Economics

HL Art

HL English

HL Physics (probably going to drop to Standard Level)

SL Maths

SL Spanish ab initio

Ignoring the other factors (intelligence, passion for your subject etc.) that contribute to being accepted by Oxford, would these subjects allow me to be accepted into Philosophy, Politics and Economics?

I just went ahead and copied the entrance requirements from Oxfords page:

You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied Politics, Philosophy or Economics. History and Mathematics are useful backgrounds, but are not essential.

Although a background in Mathematics is not formally required for admission, PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course. Mathematics is a particular advantage for the Economics component of the course, as well as for the first year logic course in philosophy, and for understanding theories and data in politics.

Many successful applicants have studied Maths to at least AS-Level, or another equivalent. You may like to consider taking Maths to AS-level, or an equivalent qualification such as IB Standard Level, even if you do not pursue it further. It is useful to have learnt the basics of differentiation before starting your university course in PPE.

(http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_2.html)%C2'>

So, Maths HL is not required for Oxford and you should be fine with your subjects! Although, history would have been a good subject to take, even though it's not essential :) HL English, is that English A? Subjects where you learn to express yourself are always good I think.

Hello, I'm studying 1st year IB in Denmark and I intend to apply to Oxford Physics after the summer holidays this year. I have Math HL, Physics HL and Chemistry HL, and expect to be predicted 7 in all three of them and 42+ overall. However, I do not have the possibility of taking Mechanics modules or 'Further Mathematics' (since it is IB, and my school does not offer Further Mathematics IB). On the Oxford webpage it says that "the inclusion of a mechanics module would also be highly recommended." They also point out that further maths can be helpful. Will not having these subjects place me at a disadvantage or make my application look weak?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Hello, I'm studying 1st year IB in Denmark and I intend to apply to Oxford Physics after the summer holidays this year. I have Math HL, Physics HL and Chemistry HL, and expect to be predicted 7 in all three of them and 42+ overall. However, I do not have the possibility of taking Mechanics modules or 'Further Mathematics' (since it is IB, and my school does not offer Further Mathematics IB). On the Oxford webpage it says that "the inclusion of a mechanics module would also be highly recommended." They also point out that further maths can be helpful. Will not having these subjects place me at a disadvantage or make my application look weak?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You should be fine, those are requirements for A-level applicants. I'm sure they understand that you didn't have the opportunity to take them being an IB applicant, HL maths is generally considered sufficient.

Having said that, self-teaching some mechanics will probably be useful to get a feel for them. Oxford requires all physics applicants to take the Physics Aptitude Test (PAT), which seems to include a few maths-heavy physics questions which you aren't used to working with. In addition to that it'll be helpful for when you get in, since they probably will teach the course under the assumption that you have some background of mechanics. The A-level syllabus is probably a good place to start, it'll probably be useful to teach yourself M1 (and possibly M2) over the summer or something.

• Like 1

You should be fine, those are requirements for A-level applicants. I'm sure they understand that you didn't have the opportunity to take them being an IB applicant, HL maths is generally considered sufficient.

Having said that, self-teaching some mechanics will probably be useful to get a feel for them. Oxford requires all physics applicants to take the Physics Aptitude Test (PAT), which seems to include a few maths-heavy physics questions which you aren't used to working with. In addition to that it'll be helpful for when you get in, since they probably will teach the course under the assumption that you have some background of mechanics. The A-level syllabus is probably a good place to start, it'll probably be useful to teach yourself M1 (and possibly M2) over the summer or something.

When you say I'll be fine, do you then mean they will take it into consideration or that there is no weakness in my application?

I have heard that Physics HL corresponds to the Mechanics modules; is this true? And, is it enough to tell them I have self-studied the mechanics modules and the parts of A-level further maths which is not covered by IB Math HL?

When you say I'll be fine, do you then mean they will take it into consideration or that there is no weakness in my application?

I have heard that Physics HL corresponds to the Mechanics modules; is this true? And, is it enough to tell them I have self-studied the mechanics modules and the parts of A-level further maths which is not covered by IB Math HL?

From an applicant standpoint, you won't be disadvantaged for not taking FM and/or mechanics. It may help with some questions on the PAT along with for the interview and when you get in, which I think is probably worth doing.

A lot of topics in physics loosely cover many topics that come up in mechanics, but a major difference I've found is the style of questions. Questions tend to be a lot more complex and maths-heavy, plus there's a number of additional topics depending on how many modules you do. From a content perspective HL maths and physics coveres a lot of the topics, but I've found it takes practice to get used to the question style.

• 3 weeks later...