The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

A few questions...

Oxford requires 3 SAT subjects tests or 3 AP tests and SAT or ACT, but do IB students have to report these as well as their IB scores?? Or are IB scores sufficient? Just in case other American students don't read/reply to this, do British IB students send in their A-level-things in addition to their IB predicted grades?

I've never visited the Oxbridge campuses, and I'm trying to decide which school I prefer. What are your impressions (in brief is fine), and are there any differences at all between the schools outside the courses (customs, traditions, ceremonies, environment, town life, anything not on their websites)?

Do they have good/decent/renowned programs for theatre, musical theatre, and music (orchestra/ensemble)? Do you think there are local dance and music teachers, or do the professors in the universities take students and teach privately? Are there any partnerships with professional theatre companies?

And can Oxbridge students go to London easily?

I'd really appreciate any answers, especially to the first questions!!

Just to add on to all the given information already:

Send those AP scores if you secure 5s in all of them (and they are actually relevant to the course you wish to study, for example don't send a 5 in AP American History if you're applying for Chemistry). Send in your SAT score if you cross 2100 (not exactly sure of the ACT equivalent but I think it's 33). IB Scores are alone enough - if these are predicted grades then you only receive conditional offers that confirm your admission only if you achieve those grades (but your American qualifications might help you here). If these are actual grades i.e. you applied after getting your IB results, you will receive unconditional offers.

Oxford and Cambridge have more similarities between them than differences. Have you decided what you are looking to pursue because that's the crucial aspect that should decide your choice of university. Many courses at one place aren't offered at the other place. Oxford generally has more joint honors courses (PPE, History & Economics etc) while Cambridge has a penchant for single honors (Economics, History). Yes, both Oxford and Cambridge have a thriving arts scene and a little Googling of any of their colleges will reveal a lot of information. Uhh professors don't take students to teach privately...that sounds weird. But yes, they should have dance companies around somewhere. Oxford is the larger place - more city-like while Cambridge has a more quiet atmosphere almost town-like. Yup, they are both only about an hour's journey from London by bus/train so going to London is hardly a difficulty.

Edited by dogmatichurricane

I guess maybe he did one degree and decided he wanted to do a different degree afterwards. There's also a healthy trade in undergrads going on to be postgrads between Oxford, Cambridge (and the Big 3 in London, it must be said), especially for subjects such as Medicine where there's a distinct undergrad and postgrade component.

Geographically speaking, that guy tells the absolute truth. Oxford is a lot more ugly, dark, industrial and undeniably gothic where Cambridge is light, spacious and elegant.

A few questions...

Oxford requires 3 SAT subjects tests or 3 AP tests and SAT or ACT, but do IB students have to report these as well as their IB scores?? Or are IB scores sufficient? Just in case other American students don't read/reply to this, do British IB students send in their A-level-things in addition to their IB predicted grades?

I've never visited the Oxbridge campuses, and I'm trying to decide which school I prefer. What are your impressions (in brief is fine), and are there any differences at all between the schools outside the courses (customs, traditions, ceremonies, environment, town life, anything not on their websites)?

Do they have good/decent/renowned programs for theatre, musical theatre, and music (orchestra/ensemble)? Do you think there are local dance and music teachers, or do the professors in the universities take students and teach privately? Are there any partnerships with professional theatre companies?

Send those AP scores if you secure 5s in all of them (and they are actually relevant to the course you wish to study, for example don't send a 5 in AP American History if you're applying for Chemistry). Send in your SAT score if you cross 2100 (not exactly sure of the ACT equivalent but I think it's 33). IB Scores are alone enough - if these are predicted grades then you only receive conditional offers that confirm your admission only if you achieve those grades (but your American qualifications might help you here). If these are actual grades i.e. you applied after getting your IB results, you will receive unconditional offers.

Oxford and Cambridge have more similarities between them than differences. Have you decided what you are looking to pursue because that's the crucial aspect that should decide your choice of university. Many courses at one place aren't offered at the other place. Oxford generally has more joint honors courses (PPE, History & Economics etc) while Cambridge has a penchant for single honors (Economics, History). Yes, both Oxford and Cambridge have a thriving arts scene and a little Googling of any of their colleges will reveal a lot of information. Uhh professors don't take students to teach privately...that sounds weird. But yes, they should have dance companies around somewhere. Oxford is the larger place - more city-like while Cambridge has a more quiet atmosphere almost town-like. Yup, they are both only about an hour's journey from London by bus/train so going to London is hardly a difficulty.

Actually you are legally required by UCAS to submit all formal examination results, at least in high school (I think). You can't not send your SAT in if it's < a certain number ... you might get away with it, but if they find out, they could also revoke your offer. Dangerous.

Desy (or anyone else applying to Oxbridge)- which college do you think you'll apply to? Of the ones I've seen so far, I like Balliol, Christ Church, and Corpus Christi at Oxford. But I haven't looked at all the sites yet so those may change.

I'm terrified about all this. I don't know whether being shortlisted would be good or bad for me, since I'm pretty sure I'll bomb the interview... But I still want to go to Oxford!!

I'm applying to Oriel College Oxford. have you downloaded/ordered the prospectus? list the universities that offer the course(s) you'd like to study first and narrow it down to unis that allow students to stay during holidays and throughout the course. also consider the library, it'd be awesome if it's 24h open. and think about the food, do you want to cook by yourself or just buy? then consider the location and the extracurricular activities it's famous for. you could also download each college's prospectus :FYI: in case you didn't know :)

good luck with choosing a college! if you'd like some advice I could give a say :)

Unconditional offers are for people who have already achieved their grades, basically. Perhaps being international meant that this person had done exams at some other time of year before making an application and already had the results? Super-smart people are still given conditional offers, although if the college REALLY wants them, this will be a low offer. Generally, however, the assumption is that if they're already super-smart they should be getting 40+ in the IB no problem without needing special dispensation so the colleges give everybody high offers anyway ;)

A few questions...

Actually you are legally required by UCAS to submit all formal examination results, at least in high school (I think). You can't not send your SAT in if it's < a certain number ... you might get away with it, but if they find out, they could also revoke your offer. Dangerous.

O.O Really?!?! Well, obviously I would never have thought of doing such a thing in my wildest dreams. I mean seriously why would you do such a thing (-runs for refuge-)

Hey guys I'm applying for Oxford my subjects are

English A1 HL

History HL

Psychology HL

Environmental Systems and Societies SL

Spanish Ab Initio SL

Math Studies SL

I'm getting an indicative (not officially predicted) 44 with a 6 in Spanish. Is this a strong application for Law if I were to keep this up? I'm pretty worried about studies and not sure if enviro is a 'soft' subject. Cheers guys.

Edit: DW, I called admissions and they said both Enviro and Studies are fine for law

Edited by i love ib lol jk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to apply to Cambridge next year for Medicine. I even decided for which college (Peterhouse).

Anyone who can tell me what is beneficial in your application for Medicine, Cambridge? Any maybe someone knows something about Peterhouse itself?

I'll be grateful for any answers!

Hi,

I want to apply to Cambridge next year for Medicine. I even decided for which college (Peterhouse).

Anyone who can tell me what is beneficial in your application for Medicine, Cambridge? Any maybe someone knows something about Peterhouse itself?

I'll be grateful for any answers!

Can't speak for Medicine but if i remember right, Peterhouse gained the wraith of IB students all across the world. They gave out a conditional offer to some kid for Economics asking for 45 points and a 9.0 in the IELTS. Not exactly big fans of the IB I guess.....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Cambridge's prospectus (Science section. it's the only prospectus pdf I downloaded) and I don't see GCSEs being mentioned anywhere here. I think they care a lot more about your IB results. so please please throw away your conceit or pride and be a good student... yes they look at your GCSE results but the entry requirements focus a lot more on the IB results so you are not completely fcked (although it's a shame that someone who got a U in GCSEs wants to go to Cambridge. I mean if you say you have the brain but if you are too lazy to study then Oxbridge are not really for you. Oxbridge are for students who are hardworking, disciplined and intelligent, in my opinion.)

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my predicted grades:

HL

Bio-7

History-6

English-6

SL

Math-7

Spanish-6

TOK/EE-3

Confirmed marks

SL Chem-7

I am applying for natural science at cambridge. What do you think my chances are? Also, I know I should have taken math and chem higher level, but these are the only options my school offers and Cambridge said it would not be held against me.

Also, does Oxbridge look at extracurricular? For example, I am a published author of a scientific journal and have won awards at 4 national and 2 international science fairs. Would that mean anything in the application?

Here are my predicted grades:

HL

Bio-7

History-6

English-6

SL

Math-7

Spanish-6

TOK/EE-3

Confirmed marks

SL Chem-7

I am applying for natural science at cambridge. What do you think my chances are? Also, I know I should have taken math and chem higher level, but these are the only options my school offers and Cambridge said it would not be held against me.

Also, does Oxbridge look at extracurricular? For example, I am a published author of a scientific journal and have won awards at 4 national and 2 international science fairs. Would that mean anything in the application?

Well, your grades are good enough for Cam, but really it all depends on the admissions test if you have one and especially the interview since the rest of the candidates will similarly have exceeded the minimum requirements in that sense.

Oxbridge does not look at extracurriculars as such unless they have relevance to the course. I actually wouldn't even look at your achievements as extracurricular activities as they are pretty much strictly academic. You should be able to get very good material out of your work for your PS, just write it well and it will look extremely impressive. Saying that, the importance of the personal statement for Oxbridge admissions is pretty much negligible, although I assume you're also applying to other UK universities.