The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

I am really sorry if this has been asked before.

Are you required to do Biology in order to study Medicine at Oxbridge? They do not state the required HL subjects on their websites...

http://www.ox.ac.uk/...e_entrance.html

IB: 39 (including core points) with 7, 6, 6 at HL

Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level.

Here you go. :) Oxford entrance requirements.

I've seen this, but I am confused because my study guide says that they will ask for Biology.

Are you required to do Biology in order to study Medicine at Oxbridge? They do not state the required HL subjects on their websites...

Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level.

I've seen this, but I am confused because my study guide says that they will ask for Biology.

What kind of a guide said that? Whatever they put on their website, it is most likely true. However, if you feel uncertain, just email them. :)

What does it mean to be a "mature student"? Any disadvantages/advantages? :) I'm considering whether to go straight to uni or take a gap year (the latter would make me a mature student since I'll be graduating a year after my peers :P

You're entering higher education at 21 years old or older.

I wouldn't say it makes a considerable difference. Decide whether you want to do a gap year or not. Also, where are you thinking of applying?

What does it mean to be a "mature student"? Any disadvantages/advantages? :) I'm considering whether to go straight to uni or take a gap year (the latter would make me a mature student since I'll be graduating a year after my peers :P

You're entering higher education at 21 years old or older.

I wouldn't say it makes a considerable difference. Decide whether you want to do a gap year or not. Also, where are you thinking of applying?

Okey, great! :) I want to apply to geography at Cambridge ^^

What kind of a guide said that? Whatever they put on their website, it is most likely true. However, if you feel uncertain, just email them. :)

Yeah, I showed the website to the guy and he said he was wrong, so no worries. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone got an interview, or heard about something?

Moreover, for those applying to Oxford and Medicine, how did the Cambridge Assessment Exam go?

I am afraid I bombed mine, because I cracked under the pressure :(

Still got offers by my 2nd and 3rd choices, but I am sincerely disappointed :(

Edited by Zarathustra

• 4 weeks later...

So I am thinking about applying for ppe at oxford..

What do you guys think about my ib subject choice? i can still move around the hl's and sl's if I have to

HL

math, econ, spanish B

SL

English A1, bio, history

any suggestions? :)

They seem perfectly fine to me. My friend's got an interview for PPE with HL: English B, History, Economics and SL: Polish Lit, Maths and Biology. :)

What do you guys think about my ib subject choice? i can still move around the hl's and sl's if I have to

HL

math, econ, spanish B

SL

English A1, bio, history

They seem perfectly fine to me. My friend's got an interview for PPE with HL: English B, History, Economics and SL: Polish Lit, Maths and Biology. :)

oo may I know how it went for your friend? :)

HL

math, econ, spanish B

SL

English A1, bio, history

oo may I know how it went for your friend? :)

She's still there. :) Oxford won't get back to us (I'm a law applicant, I had an interview last week) until mid-January. :)

Is the IB bilingual diploma sufficient to show proficiency in English (without actually studying English as a subject?) or do you have to take some other test like TOEFL? :P

Check the website/contact the university, it'll take you 5 minutes and you'll get a response straight from the horse's mouth.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

mm, ok, i see that most of the applicants to Natural Sciences at Cam has got math, physics and chem hl's. so i have a question: would it be a problem for me to get to interview with subjects: HL's: math, english b and chem ; SL's: economics, lithuanian a1 and physics ?? All the IB students in my school takes English B or A2 HL and i was afraid to take 4 HL's, so took physics sl. :)

mm, ok, i see that most of the applicants to Natural Sciences at Cam has got math, physics and chem hl's. so i have a question: would it be a problem for me to get to interview with subjects: HL's: math, english b and chem ; SL's: economics, lithuanian a1 and physics ?? All the IB students in my school takes English B or A2 HL and i was afraid to take 4 HL's, so took physics sl. :)

This should be enough, for example my college (Trinity Hall) lists the following requirements: http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduates/courses/detail.asp?cat=Natural%20Sciences&ItemID=1614.

This should be enough, for example my college (Trinity Hall) lists the following requirements: http://www.trinhall....es&ItemID=1614.

Thanks a lot. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics or Oxford for PPE, and my subject choices are on my sig.

Just wondering, will English B HL be a problem, btw I got A* for IGCSE Language A English ? And I'll be doing my EE in Korean(checked the stats in my school and there were more As in Korean than Economics....)

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics or Oxford for PPE, and my subject choices are on my sig.

Just wondering, will English B HL be a problem, btw I got A* for IGCSE Language A English ? And I'll be doing my EE in Korean(checked the stats in my school and there were more As in Korean than Economics....)

Taking English B HL, wrote my EE in History, have an offer for Law at Oxford. :)