hopev

I will be starting my two years of IB diploma in September but have been seriously doubting my choice. Will IB help me get into a good med school or will it just cause me pain and stress? my schedule is IB english 20, IB history 20, IB TOK ethics 20, IB Math foundations 30, IB Health science 20 and second semester it is IB world literature, IB History 20, IB Health science 20, IB Pre calc 30, Communication Media-Film 20 and IB French 20 I will also be taking IB phycology, law and physical science 20 over the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Comus said:

Could you explain how your school works? Because this really doesn't sound like the IB I know. How are you taking so many IB courses? And over the summer? 

I am taking the summer courses with Pamoja the file attached shows how the courses are divided in my schedule some of the names are slightly altered to fit saskatchewan curriculum I will be receiving both an IB diploma and a Canadian high school diploma. This means both my math classes are really just SL math my health science is HL biology, English and world lit 20 are HL english and my spare and french are HL french the other classes stay the same so History is HL history film is SL film etc.

OSA vanvh (main).pdf

In Canada, med school is a graduate program and undergraduates often take biology, life sciences, health sciences, biochemistry, or chemistry to apply for a med program. So strictly speaking, a high school program cannot help you with med school. For students who are otherwise doing well in school, IB is more likely to be helpful in applying to undergrad programs, than unhelpful or detrimental. I think basically if you have a specific major in mind AND applying to just Canada/US then IB will not be more helpful than a regular high school diploma, at least not by much. The main benefit of IB is to prepare against uni coursework, not prepare you for entrance. So in general students who get in with an enriched program such as IB or AP are more likely to be successful than those who get in without.