Chemistry HL or Maths HL?

Yomna

Hello people! 

I'm doing Chemistry and Math both at Hl and it's KILLING ME!

Since I wanna study medicine and need about 40 points I'm thinking about dropping one of them to SL (I don't need Chemistry nor Math HL for the university I'm applying for). 

I'm pretty good at both subjects but I feel like Chemistry HL is so much content , while Math is very interesting but it requires a LOT of time to practice and the exam questions are pretty hard. 

Does any one have some advice on which one I should drop? 

These are my subjects if that's would help

Physics HL 

Chemistry HL 

Math HL 

English B HL 

Self-taught Arabic A SL 

History SL

Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Drop math HL. If you are taking biology HL you would need Chem HL to make up for it (to be competitive). Plus the math requirement for med is not that high.

I agree, but I'm only applying to Danish universities and they only require SL Chemistry and Math and the only thing they care about is the overall grade (40+ points)

so to make question clear, is it easier to get a 7 in Math HL or Chemistry HL?

11 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Drop math HL. If you are taking biology HL you would need Chem HL to make up for it (to be competitive). Plus the math requirement for med is not that high.

14 hours ago, Ayal said:

Hello people! 

I'm doing Chemistry and Math both at Hl and it's KILLING ME!

Since I wanna study medicine and need about 40 points I'm thinking about dropping one of them to SL (I don't need Chemistry nor Math HL for the university I'm applying for). 

I'm pretty good at both subjects but I feel like Chemistry HL is so much content , while Math is very interesting but it requires a LOT of time to practice and the exam questions are pretty hard. 

Does any one have some advice on which one I should drop? 

These are my subjects if that's would help

Physics HL 

Chemistry HL 

Math HL 

English B HL 

Self-taught Arabic A SL 

History SL

Thanks in advance!

I'm fairly certain if you want to apply to some insane med schools like Cambridge you're going to want Math HL + Science HL (90% of admits had either A-Level Math or Math HL). It's just something to consider if you don't want to leave out options; Oxford doesn't seem to have as stringent a Math HL "recommendation". 

1 hour ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I'm fairly certain if you want to apply to some insane med schools like Cambridge you're going to want Math HL + Science HL (90% of admits had either A-Level Math or Math HL). It's just something to consider if you don't want to leave out options; Oxford doesn't seem to have as stringent a Math HL "recommendation". 

I agree that Math HL would keep my options open and I was thinking about dropping Chem to SL since I have another HL Science. However, I'm really worried I won't be able to score well in Math HL and that would affect my overall IB grade. 

If anyone who studied the new syllabus of both subjects at HL would care to share some advice that would be very appreciated   🙏🙏

11 hours ago, Ayal said:

I agree, but I'm only applying to Danish universities and they only require SL Chemistry and Math and the only thing they care about is the overall grade (40+ points)

so to make question clear, is it easier to get a 7 in Math HL or Chemistry HL?

Content-wise Math HL is a more difficult course. But the study strategy is straightforward: you just get 7+ years of past papers and do all the questions. In comparison, the content of Chemistry HL is often difficult to conceptually understand and you need to use a wide variety of review strategies. Math is knowing how to solve the problem and chemistry is understanding and justifying phenomenon. 

13 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Content-wise Math HL is a more difficult course. But the study strategy is straightforward: you just get 7+ years of past papers and do all the questions. In comparison, the content of Chemistry HL is often difficult to conceptually understand and you need to use a wide variety of review strategies. Math is knowing how to solve the problem and chemistry is understanding and justifying phenomenon. 

I see, I'll probably drop Chem then.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...