Psychology IA Statistics Help (Tversky and Kahneman 1974)

19laurenb

Psychology IA Statistics Help (Tversky and Kahneman 1974)

I chose to do my IA on the Tversky and Kahneman 1974 experiment on the anchoring bias. Basically, it was an independent samples design. In condition A, the participants were asked to estimate a numerical expression in ascending order 1 X 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 x 6 x 7 x 8. In condition B, it was presented in descending order 8 X 7 X 6 X 5 X 4 X 3 X 2 X 1. 

I already ran the experiment, but my problem is with getting the statistics. As it is independent measures, my teacher said to use the Mann-Whitney test. However, when I input my data, I get this notification: The sum of ranks for samples A and B combined does not equal [n(n+1)]/2. Please check your data entries. 

Do you have any suggestions for what to do? What test to use instead?? Or do I stick with the test and create ranges (that's what my teacher suggested)? Any help is appreciated.

If you want to see the original experiment https://msu.edu/~ema/803/Ch11-JDM/2/TverskyKahneman73.pdf (Study 6: Extrapolation)

*Btw the actual value was 40,320 

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 2.47.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 2.49.12 PM.png

• 1 year later...