Taif

Hello everyone, 

I just started IB year one and in the future I want to pursue neuroscience or biotechnology or something in that field. My subjects right now are

• english a language and lit HL
  • psych HL
  • biology HL
  • chem SL 
  • math SL
  • arabic SL

i want to go to universities in the U.K. or Canada. Now as I was looking at requirements for scholarship in my country I found out that I need chemistry HL and biology HL with a score of at least 5. Now my option is to take chemistry + bio + psych HL . 

I’m scared of the workload being too much and I end up getting lower score or something goes wrong. What should I do?

If you are taking this combination please tell me your experience with it and how you cope with it. 

It depends on whether you want a higher grade (and apply for a different university), or the scholarship/meeting the particular entry requirements. Taking Bio HL and Chemistry HL is the best option if you want to study neuroscience or biotech. I don't know about IB psych but it is treated as a group 3 so it is not vital to these majors. 

If it is an option, you can make use of the summer between year 1 and 2 by reading ahead and do/start most of IAs or EE. The average score is between a 4 and a 5 so 5 in Chemistry HL is not impossible. Finally, the worst case scenario is that if you were to get a bad result, and you could simply retake the exams 6 or 12 months later. That is much better than taking SL and preventing yourself from applying to particular unis. 

• Like 1