Jump to content

The test of time and students, woodwind instruments.

Recommended Posts

Hello all.

I'm in the search for good quality student model woodwind instruments for the growing music program in my school. One of the biggest problems has been the type of glue used for the joint corks on the clarinets. They have not held up to the hot tropical weather. Any suggestions are more than welcomed. Thanks in advance.

-Emanuel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in general members of this forum will not be knowledgeable on the maintenance of reed instruments. I think your best option is to ask a local instrument or music shop or another online music forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrEmanuel said:

Hello all.

I'm in the search for good quality student model woodwind instruments for the growing music program in my school. One of the biggest problems has been the type of glue used for the joint corks on the clarinets. They have not held up to the hot tropical weather. Any suggestions are more than welcomed. Thanks in advance.

-Emanuel

 

I played clarinet back in the day and still get it out to play every once in a while. Mine is a student model Jupiter. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me, or I would give you the model number.  

I've had the same one since 4th grade, so more than 10 years, 7 years of daily playing (concert, pep, and marching band). Short of some bent keys from dropping it middle school, I've never had a problem with it. It's been played in the rain and heat with no damage to the corks. (A few rainy football games/marching band rehearsals, so like two hours in the wet at a time) Back when I played it daily, I tried to keep the corks well greased in order to prevent cracks in them. 

 

I have a few, probably temporary, troubleshooting suggestions:

~How frequently do you grease the corks? You might try greasing them more frequently so the parts go together smoother. They shouldn't slip out when you play still. (The grease should also help to keep the moisture out.)

~Dry the instrument corks when you're done. If you can keep the corks free of water, you might get the glue to hold longer.

~Store it in a dry place. If you can, you might consider getting them a dehumidifier. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, kw0573 said:

I think in general members of this forum will not be knowledgeable on the maintenance of reed instruments. I think your best option is to ask a local instrument or music shop or another online music forum. 

Thanks for taking the time  to respond. I'm not really looking for maintenance advice. I was hoping for music teachers to share their experience with instrument brands that had worked for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, IB_taking_over said:

 

I played clarinet back in the day and still get it out to play every once in a while. Mine is a student model Jupiter. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me, or I would give you the model number.  

I've had the same one since 4th grade, so more than 10 years, 7 years of daily playing (concert, pep, and marching band). Short of some bent keys from dropping it middle school, I've never had a problem with it. It's been played in the rain and heat with no damage to the corks. (A few rainy football games/marching band rehearsals, so like two hours in the wet at a time) Back when I played it daily, I tried to keep the corks well greased in order to prevent cracks in them. 

 

I have a few, probably temporary, troubleshooting suggestions:

~How frequently do you grease the corks? You might try greasing them more frequently so the parts go together smoother. They shouldn't slip out when you play still. (The grease should also help to keep the moisture out.)

~Dry the instrument corks when you're done. If you can keep the corks free of water, you might get the glue to hold longer.

~Store it in a dry place. If you can, you might consider getting them a dehumidifier. 

Thanks for the response. It was all very good advice. As a wind player I have tried to share proper maintenance and care with my students. We're just at the point where we would like to improve the quality of the instruments in their hands.

Jupiter is a good brand that has gotten less affordable. I own a Jupiter Bari sax from the 60's and is still in playing shape.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.