The new IB maths programme

dkam78

Hey! 

I'm planning to get into medicine too and I had such a tough time choosing my subjects. The thing is to get into any good university, Math Studies is usually not recognized/ accepted. So doing Math SL is always a better choice, and the choice I eventually chose. 

However, if you want to get into the more mathematical aspect of Medicine such as Biostatics, then I would suggest you do Math HL. 

Recently, I spoke to these 3 students who completed their IBDP at my school and who are studying medicine in Prague. They said don't do Math HL unless you absolutely have to because you don't really use the skills but some people do it just to make their applications look more competitive. 

Another piece of advice; Doing 4 HL's are a smart move, but you might want to think about whether you can actually manage the content required for both the HL Langauge courses you're doing. From what I've heard, they have a LOT of material to read and write...

Broadly speaking, Math A/I is based on current math studies, with an emphasis on stats. Math A/A is supposedly very similar to current SL and HL with emphasis on calculus. 

I suppose the best option is Math A/I HL for med school, but it is a completely new course so teachers may not know how to best teach it. From a practical standpoint, Math A/A SL could be best bet to getting highest score. The new A/A course replaced vectors with 3-D geometry and should make the course somewhat easier, at least in terms of conceptual understanding required. 

If you are taking Math A/I HL, you have to change one of the Lang/Lit's to SL (probably Dutch SL) because IB does not allow 5 HLs for DP.