What laptop should i get?

prepassy

Hi

I am going to 10th Grade pre-IB, and i need a laptop/macbook. I don't want to spent more than ~7-800 Euros, but for that much i can only buy a 2013 Mabook Pro Retina on the Mac side, and i am not sure if it is going to be good until the end of 2022 (my exams). On the windows side it's important for me to have a good keyboard and a trackpad, 8gb RAM, at least an i5-7th generation. I also want something lightweight and not bigger than 15" (i know 15.6 is a common size, its bigger than what i need, but i can live with it if there is no smaller option). So far the ones that i looked at are middle class Dell and Lenovo laptops, but honestly i am worried about the materials in them. If you have any recomendations on what i should get please leave a comment 😃 

Thanks a lot

Peter

I don't think that there are any restrictions on laptops for the exams since they are mostly handwritten. But for homework use, I suggest Macbook pro(also required by my school) for a well-established system. It is also very light in weight so you may simply carry it everywhere around the campus. Almost all my friends who study ib even outside the school are currently using MacBook pro and it is more likely to be the same situation in your school as well.  However, you'd better discuss with your classmates and find out which laptop is the most suitable for your own school since different schools or countries would have different computer systems which work best for them.    

hey! I just recently bought a Lenovo Yoga 730 for this school year and I would definitely recommend it . It's a little on the expensive side, but I was able to get it on sale. I really like how versatile this laptop is what with the 2-in-1 functions and tablet mode. The design of the laptop itself is also pretty sleek and modern looking. In general, I would recommend getting a laptop that comes with Microsoft Office and runs well with it and a laptop that will last you for the better part of your high school years. Even though Macbooks are nice, they don't come with as many functions as other laptops nowadays and I feel like the extra price for Apple Care and what not kind of makes a lot of Apple laptops not worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience it doesn't really matter if you use Apple or PC for IB and Pre-IB. There are quite a lot of IB students in my school and everyone uses whatever they prefer 😊. Having a laptop with you is really nice since you type very quickly and can organize notes and assignments easily, but keep in mind that final exams will be handwritten so practicing handwriting in lectures is also very beneficial. I currently use a 14" lenovo laptop just for school and its been working great.

• Love 1