Is teacher allowed to practice IOC extracts with students?

We have a teacher in the school who practice every IOC extract with each student before the recording. Her class size is small. She only needs 6 extracts. She gives the extracts to students and then practice each IOC extracts with her students one by one. Before the recording, her students have memorized what to say for every extract. I know it does not sound ethical, but is this behavior allowed by IB regulations?  

image.png

image.png

That shouldn't be allowed. Teachers are allowed to ask guiding questions and such but that's about it. I remember reading a document from IB where they were unhappy with how some teachers would try to interfere with the commentary more than they needed to and they most certainly would not approve of teachers basically giving out the commentary to the students.  

Here is the information you'll need regarding reporting this to IB since this is unfair to the students who don't get any external help and against IB regulations. 

While I think this particular case seems to be worthy of examination, I just wanted to give my opinion regarding the OP's original question of whether a teacher is allowed to practice the IOC, I think that they are definitely allowed. I don't know of any rule against it. My teacher volunteered his free time to do it and it was very professional about it while also making us feel comfortable and supported. After the practice, the feedback he gave us was not what to say but rather he would comment on what we did well, what we didn't do well, strategies (i.e. just moving on if you spend too much time on something), and so forth. I think that's great. It's also worth mentioning that the chances that we would hit the same extract were small and that for the other work he never really gave us specific advice he just got us thinking in the right terms.

The issue here is a different one.

• Cheers! 1

10 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

While I think this particular case seems to be worthy of examination, I just wanted to give my opinion regarding the OP's original question of whether a teacher is allowed to practice the IOC, I think that they are definitely allowed. I don't know of any rule against it. My teacher volunteered his free time to do it and it was very professional about it while also making us feel comfortable and supported. After the practice, the feedback he gave us was not what to say but rather he would comment on what we did well, what we didn't do well, strategies (i.e. just moving on if you spend too much time on something), and so forth. I think that's great. It's also worth mentioning that the chances that we would hit the same extract were small and that for the other work he never really gave us specific advice he just got us thinking in the right terms.

The issue here is a different one.

Right. I took it as OP asking whether the teacher is allowed to practice the IOC on the same extract right before the recording. The way your teacher did it is perfectly reasonable and I don't see why a teacher would not want to do some practice so that the students know what to expect on the day of recording.