You know you are in IB when...

a.barghuthi

Really, you guys are competitive. Everyone was really supportive while I was doing IB, sure there were little rivalries but everyone would always be ready to help each other, especially considering in the end you aren't ranked against your class. I find that people were way more supportive than people who did the alternative to IB, where you are always ranked. I often found people in the other course asking me whether or not they should give someone the notes they had from class when the person was away sick. Whereas it was nothing like that with people in IB.

I agree. there was never really any competition in my class...not the kind you're talking about anyway. i mean, my english teacher would read good and bad excerpts of essays out from our essays to the whole class and make comments on all of them before handing them back. my history teacher would rank our essays but it didn't really mean anything because in the beginning, we worked together on the points we should talk about in the essay anyway, so it was only up to how we wrote the essay. :P if anyone wrote particular good essays, my teachers would photocopy them out and distributed them to everyone anyway. i mean, ok, maybe it was more supportive in my class because of our small size and you'd know everyone...but still...

• 3 weeks later...
^ Complete opposite in my class.

One day someone asked a girl for notes and she flat out ignored her.

Everyone is out for the scholarships.

And the glory of being the best.

I hate them for this.

our class started to be really competitive this year... last year we were all helping each other and etc... but now each one wants to be the top... which is not that bad. i mean if someone asks for notes we would definitely give them to each other... but other things like extended essays and math projects are not allowed to be shared

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

You know you’ve been in IB too long when…

-"I think therefore I have a headache. . ."

-You haven't studied for American History all year, and the week before semester finals you think "Why should I start now?"

- It rains and you place the umbrella over your bookbag instead of yourself.

- The "due" date becomes the "do" date.

-TOK essays are now the easiest of tonight's homework.

-You make graphs of your grades to chart your progress (or lack thereof).

-You'd go into severe spasms if you ever lost your day-runner.

-Teachers have actually said the following words to you : "Do your Extended Essay draft, TOK essay, lab-books, read those five books for Polish, write the Philosophy GCW, do the remaining thousand hours of CAS... and have a nice summer holiday!"

-You manage to complete a semesters worth of homework the day before the term ends.

-You've sold your soul to a teacher... for a C... for the semester.

-Desperate to fill up your CAS hours, you claim watching a black and white movie as "creativity" and walking your dog as "activity", and your teacher approves it.

-You have a special "test writing sweater" that you wore to all the IB exams.

-Your idea of impure thoughts is whether or not to copy math homework.

-You can count your last quiz grade on one hand.

-You wonder if there's Coles Notes on the Calculus book.

-You don't really cheat-you just tell people the answers.

-You have the library on speed dial.

-You've developed an imprint of your book bag in your back.

-Your best hope for most classes is either divine intervention or a strategically placed lightning bolt.

-Your books weigh more than you do.

-Your thesis for the Extended Essay is whether or not Bert and Ernie are gay.

-You plead insanity on a research paper.

-You have a Coles Notes Preferred Customer Credit Card.

-You forgot about that pesky Extended Essay thing until the night before it was due.

-You consider giving up going to the bathroom permanently to give you more time to study.

-Your backpack is only comfortable when it weighs 30 pounds.

-You have convinced your parents the "1" you received on your IB Physics exam was really the "top 1% of all IB students worldwide".

-You skip breakfast so you can get to school early to get in some extra cramming time to gain that "upper edge" on the rest of the class (or your arch-rival)

-Your home becomes a "home away from home".

- Pressed for time, you conclude a history essay with, "And they lived happily every after. Amen."

-You get into a slugging match over priority for the library photocopier.

-You plagiarize from Coles Notes for the "What is Truth?" ToK paper.

-You actually worry about the 98% you have in math.

-You find that you overreact when you get 2 points marked off on your homework.

-You find that you spend more time sleeping in class than at home.

-You are 18 but can't drive.

-You have 15 library cards each under a different alias.

-The librarians know you so well that you don't even have to go to the front desk of the library to check the book out.

-You've read most of the books in your library, and have a written report on over 3/4 of them! -You exceed the 4000 word limit on the Extended Essay.

-The simplest words you know are at least 10 letters long.

-You ask what your summer reading assignment will be in December.

-It takes more than one trip to carry the books you need between your car and your locker.

-You carry around vocabulary flash cards to whip out in your free time.

-You can list all 5 definitions on vocabulary tests.

-The saying "When I graduate high school" has been replaced with "If I ever graduate."

-When you are home sick, you can't help but wonder what work you're missing and what your homework is.

-When you're watching TV, you feel guilty because not all of your homework is done.

-You find yourself spelling words out on scantrons. You are deeply saddened when you can only find one letter of "IB SUCKS!"

-During a Chemistry test, instead of doing the work, you write a random answer program in your TI-82 and get the highest score in the class.

-You firmly believe that "learning by osmosis" is a credible form of studying.

-Classes become so difficult that you look forward to your enjoyable ride on the C-Train.

-You find yourself saying: "did you see that special on the learning channel last night?"

-You come into school at 7:30am to do Math Extension- willingly.

• 2 weeks later...

i reckon whoeva rote that entire list is a legend, but why bother making all that up when u have IB and u complain about it, wouldnt it just be easier if u do ur EE or TOK or h/w.

but i would like to add more, like:

when ur teachers ask u for ur semester's worth of work while u only have a book full of skethches involving ur teachers.

when u become one with ur seat

when u dream about graduating and finishing ib

• 6 months later...

"Your favorite saying is "If I get a hundred on every test for the rest of the year..."

You can spell "Baccalaureate".

Friends" and "fellow IBers" are interchangeable.

You go to bed at 3AM and think, "Oh, it's an early night!"

Your favorite saying is "If I get a hundred on every test for the rest of the year..."

You talk to yourself in the 3rd person.

You write sentences on multiple choice tests.

You have great revelations concerning Life, the Universe, and Everything else, but can't quite find the words for them before the white glow fades, leaving you more confused than before.

Antacid tablets and No-Doze become your sole source of nutrition.

You discover the aesthetic beauty of school supplies.

You begin to talk to yourself, then disagree about the subject, get into a nasty row about it, lose, and refuse to talk to yourself for the rest of the day

While writing a TOK paper, you begin to actually understand the material

You and Reality file for divorce whenever you're watching a movie you find all the motifs and themes...without trying(SO TRUE...AND BOOKS TOO)

you start to laugh hysterically when you're writing a bibliography because a book has TWO authors

you find juxtaposition in places you shouldn't be looking for it

you write a two page answer to a one sentence question

It takes you 3 days to get this joke:

A: you know what?

B: no, introduce me.

You start analyzing random books, song lyrics, and street signs(I do this SO much it's annoying)

ns "

:!: None OF THIS IS MINE. I found this Fri night sarching for "You know you're an IB student when" and they are quotes from many IB students (http://www.geocities.com/calcfreak901/ib.html) :!:

KEEP THIS GOING :arrow: AND ADD YOUR OWN :idea: :P:)

You write sentences on multiple choice tests.

Oh my goodness. I always used to do this, because I'm pretty anal about thoroughly getting my point across. My teachers, however, thought that maaaaaybe I wasn't spending my time as wisely as I should have been. So I stopped. Hah.

• 2 weeks later...