Bad teacher

Aaron123

So guys it’s been around 2 months since the IB has started and my school is really really bad. I have 2-3 good teachers but the rest are really bad. I have taken PHY, CHEM, and Maths as my HL which I know is a pretty deadly trio, but I want to do it. The problem here arises in MATHS mainly where new topics such as logs, polynomials and stuff wasn’t done in IGCSE so this is new to me in the IB and I need the teacher to teach me this. Also there are 2 people in the class to want to be competitive for some reason and are unwilling to help. The board they did(ICSE) is a board that covered up these topics, so it’s like a revision for them.  Rather than keeping quiet they just make this difficult for me showing their strength which is so insignificant cuz they have already done it. Unfortunately this teacher too is a new hire and has nothing to do with the IB. It is so difficult to do so much by my own cuz she is rushing and even after Tuitons(just twice a week and I cannot increase since nobody is willing to do more) it’s getting difficult cuz these are new concepts which I ought to understand. What do I do

Hello Aaron123. I recommend you take online courses with more experienced IB teachers. It can definetely be extra work but it can help you immensely. If you disapprove of this, I recommend you talk to your teachers to see if tutoring can be an option for you. However you choose, keep in mind that dedication is what will help you pull through. I have recently started the IB as well and I am taking Biology HL. My teacher in this class is inexperienced as well, so I saw that independent studying has been really helping me understand the topics. Watching online videos about the topics as well has given me the feel of having an experienced teacher and I am really understanding the concepts now. 

On 9/28/2018 at 6:06 AM, Aaron123 said:

So guys it’s been around 2 months since the IB has started and my school is really really bad. I have 2-3 good teachers but the rest are really bad. I have taken PHY, CHEM, and Maths as my HL which I know is a pretty deadly trio, but I want to do it. The problem here arises in MATHS mainly where new topics such as logs, polynomials and stuff wasn’t done in IGCSE so this is new to me in the IB and I need the teacher to teach me this. Also there are 2 people in the class to want to be competitive for some reason and are unwilling to help. The board they did(ICSE) is a board that covered up these topics, so it’s like a revision for them.  Rather than keeping quiet they just make this difficult for me showing their strength which is so insignificant cuz they have already done it. Unfortunately this teacher too is a new hire and has nothing to do with the IB. It is so difficult to do so much by my own cuz she is rushing and even after Tuitons(just twice a week and I cannot increase since nobody is willing to do more) it’s getting difficult cuz these are new concepts which I ought to understand. What do I do

The good thing is that there will be a lot of resources online for whatever IB math concept you're studying. You shouldn't need to take online courses, just googling concepts and spending time reading about them and watching videos should be good. Also if you have a textbook use that. And be aware that IB changes the math curriculum a lot. Topics that were previously studied such as matrices are no longer.