CAS cheat

I start IB in a few months and I was just wondering, what's to stop somebody from just beginning to do CAS activities a year or so before actually starting DP and taking photos but then waiting until they had actually started DP to log the activities into managebacc? Couldn't you just lie to your coordinator cause it's not like they are going to go through all the effort to check when the photos were actually taken. Also, couldn't you just do an individual activity such as running but get all of your evidence done in half an hour by changing outfits and taking videos of yourself running or something, and then using that evidence to log cas hours later on during your diploma programme. How would they ever know whether you are actually practising an instrument or painting or running or if it's just old footage?

The short answer is, they most likely won't. CAS is one of the IB things that relies a lot on the student being principled (see, principled in the IB learner profile) in terms of doing it. The expectation is you record it accurately and honestly. 

Although it clearly defeats the point of CAS, I will admit faking your CAS activities is pretty creative. 

• Like 1

That's why instead of counting hours, the main part of the current CAS curriculum is the reflections. Theorectically speaking, if you are able to write the depth and quantity of analysis/reflection as someone who did the two years of CAS, then you should be given credit.

The other argument is that, a moderate level of CAS helps to alleviate stress. If you choose not to exercise for a year then it may negatively impact your academic performance.

• Like 1