Course selection impact

dms170

Hi,

I am sorry if what I am about to ask has been discussed ad nauseam,  I couldn't really find the answer to my question anywhere. I am looking at getting a degree in Chemistry from schools in England (Oxbridge, Bath, etc.) and I am consistently seeing how Chemistry HL and Math HL is a requirement to get into these programs. Problem is, my school doesn't offer HL Chem + Math. Instead, I am taking Physics HL and Bio HL with Math SL because those are the most difficult classes my school offers that is relevant to Chemistry (for clarity, I am taking English Lang&Lit SL, History of America HL, Physics HL, Bio HL, Spanish SL, and Math SL, as well as Science Research which provides me with opportunities to independently publish my work and participate in science fairs). I also helped start up my schools Chemistry Club and am currently holding a leadership position there (secretary). Will this put me at an inherent disadvantage when it comes time to apply? I feel my love for Chemistry has been exhausted, I am just worried they will not see 😁.

Cheers,
Darien

8 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

Unfortunately, I do think that you will have some trouble getting into a chemistry program at those schools without taking it. I think you should probably talk to your parents and/or councillor about this.

Thank you very much for your quick response. Would taking AP Chem online help to fix this problem? They removed AP Chem from my options the year I was going to take it.

Edited by dms170

The best thing you can do is email the university's and see what they say. Here's Oxford's email http://[email protected]. I'm sure you can find Cambridge's email pretty easily, in the best case they're going to tell you to also take the Calc BC AP Exam but I'm afraid they might just say no, sorry. Which isn't the end of the world.

Good luck. Even if they say yes, getting a 42 is extremely difficult and conditional offers are not fun. So try not to worry. Everything that glitters isn't gold, clichéd clichés and all.

6 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

The best thing you can do is email the university's and see what they say. Here's Oxford's email http://[email protected]. I'm sure you can find Cambridge's email pretty easily, in the best case they're going to tell you to also take the Calc BC AP Exam but I'm afraid they might just say no, sorry. Which isn't the end of the world.

Good luck. Even if they say yes, getting a 42 is extremely difficult and conditional offers are not fun. So try not to worry. Everything that glitters isn't gold, clichéd clichés and all.

Unfortunate, but it is how it is. Thank you very much! Kinda stinks this is out of my control, though ☹️