I NEED help with Language Ab Inito???!

I'm currently in my second last year of the IB and I'm severely struggling to learn Arabic. Since it's the only language my school offers, I have no choice but to accept it. My friends are native speakers of the Arabic language and sometimes even they struggle with forming paragraphs and such. Anyway, in class, we barely make any progress because the teacher would always inform us about her past life and basically talking off topic. Once in a while, she'll give us practice exam papers and because I don't come from an Arabic background, I don't understand it at all. I managed to teach myself how to read but I struggle with understanding and writing. 

Should I just somehow fit extra hours for Arabic in my schedule???? It'll be really helpful if someone could please give me some tips or something, I don't know, I'm just really worried about what I'm going to do for the final exams when I'll have to form paragraphs and answer questions etc.