What's the structure of analyzing and comparing and contrasting two texts?

So the teacher gave us a past paper where we had to analyse and compare and contrast between two texts. I kind of struggle with writing that because I had no idea how to build up on the analysis. I scored pretty poorly on that and I asked the teacher for some feedback and she told me that my text wasn't organised and that it was all over the place. So I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how to structure the text for analyzing and comparing and contrasting between two texts? 

First, approaches that split up the text into paragraph 1 being book A with a1, a2, and a3 and paragraph 2 being book B with b1, b2, and b3 rarely work. You should aim to write an essay that take a1 and b1 and analyses them, a2 and b2, so on an so forth. Next, you should deliberately align these so that you can compare or contrast them. Also, you should progressively be working toward your thesis. When you plan the essay, decide on your thesis. Don't go into to your essay not knowing what it will be.