Study for English A SL

Nosleep

Don't worry too much. Obviously, you do need to be proficient, but IB is not grading you on how many weird words you know or whatnot. In fact there are many people around the world who take IB English A and who didn't speak it as a native language. I'm not going to lie; it's an advantage to speak it natively. Sometimes you'll want to comment on the usage of diction (word choice) and native speakers have statically seen words a lot more times than others and thus grasp meaning and connotations. But diction is a small, small aspect of lit. devices and you'll be fine. I'm sure you can analyze diction without knowing the meaning of "tawny", for example (I didn't either haha, had to look it up). The same goes for your actual essay writing. Almost all of the marks are in your commentary and organization—NOT your style of writing. Like I said, there are many kids who do this every year who do not speak English as a first language.

If you are actually not used to using the names for literary devices in English, then I'd recommend just studying that as a list of vocabulary (like you did when you are first learning things in English. You should be comfortable with those names and know them by heart). You should know what enjambment is, etc.

Check the pinned posts for advice. But the first order of business (the most important thing) is to keep up with your readings. If you do that, you're winning more than half the battle. https://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/10-languages-a1a-literature/

• Like 1