TOK - Help needed around topic (looking into beauty)

chickienuggie

hello everyone, I am currently trying to find a topic to do my summative TOK oral on and i am stuck!

I wanted to base it around the concept of beauty and maybe how beauty is changing with the help of technology or something like that! However I feel like these topics are too generic and I wanted to get some advice on some interesting topics from some other people who have completed the IB? 

Thanks!!

I haven't completed the Ibdp program yet, but my idea would be to look at cosmetic surgeries and the rapid effect it has on society today influencing society's perception of beauty. Through lip fillers, rhinoplasty, eyelid lifts, etc people choose to spend tons on changing their natural, genetic given features. I'm not sure if I helped much but, let me know if you still need help with ideas. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 12:44 PM, Khadsmimi said:

I haven't completed the Ibdp program yet, but my idea would be to look at cosmetic surgeries and the rapid effect it has on society today influencing society's perception of beauty. Through lip fillers, rhinoplasty, eyelid lifts, etc people choose to spend tons on changing their natural, genetic given features. I'm not sure if I helped much but, let me know if you still need help with ideas. 

What question could i develop around that which is not so generic? Cause i know a couple people who are asking how media affects the perception of beauty and i want to do something more specific and different than that. 

On 10/16/2018 at 9:31 PM, chickienuggie said:

What question could i develop around that which is not so generic? Cause i know a couple people who are asking how media affects the perception of beauty and i want to do something more specific and different than that. 

I was actually talking to my teacher about this since, it hit me as an idea for my own EE but, I ended up changing my topic to Computer Science. As for your EE, my teacher and I were discussing how Asia is widely known for the cosmetic surgery that goes on there and Korea is general place to start as a foundation or main topic if you're interested in the effects of society on technology and beauty. Instead of looking at social media affecting the perception on beauty, you can look at the history and traditions that people have in Korea- such as how cultures in Asia have this tradition/ideal of being light and fair and how that has affected people's thinking brainwashing them and changing their beauty ideals. Good luck!

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-is-the-plastic-surgery-capital-of-the-world-2015-9

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:04 AM, Khadsmimi said:

I was actually talking to my teacher about this since, it hit me as an idea for my own EE but, I ended up changing my topic to Computer Science. As for your EE, my teacher and I were discussing how Asia is widely known for the cosmetic surgery that goes on there and Korea is general place to start as a foundation or main topic if you're interested in the effects of society on technology and beauty. Instead of looking at social media affecting the perception on beauty, you can look at the history and traditions that people have in Korea- such as how cultures in Asia have this tradition/ideal of being light and fair and how that has affected people's thinking brainwashing them and changing their beauty ideals. Good luck!

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-is-the-plastic-surgery-capital-of-the-world-2015-9

thanks for the help but im talking about TOK not EE. I think i also found a topic which i am interested in which is from your help!