EE footnote referencing

Hi all, 

I am wondering how strict are the IB about using properly a referencing style. For example, I want to use footnotes in my EE and I didn't know that for that you need to use the Chicago/Turabian style, and I have all my references in APA. Will I get penalized for that in the presentation criterion, or as long as I'm consistent with my referencing it's fine? Because in the IB guide for "Effective citing and referencing" it is mentioned that "IB students are not expected to show faultless expertise in referencing but are expected to acknowledge all uses of other people’s work".

And lastly, if I use footnotes to reference ideas from the text, can I write references for figures under them? Because some figures I adapt, or I just take data from a source and make my own diagram, so I want to say something like: adapted from... or data retrieved from...

Any contribution will be appreciated!