ESS extended essay - renewable energy or water pollution?

honeyren

Hey all,

I'm having trouble narrowing down my potential topics/research questions for my EE. I've got renewable energy in Australia (wanted to do an world studies on that and incorporate economics but was quickly shut down by my supervisor), or water pollution in New Zealand. 

I'm very interested in water pollution and I think there's a lot of material specifically on pollution in New Zealand (agriculture/dairy industry etc). The only issue is that it is very similar to my IA where I examined macroinvertebrate populations and abiotic factors indicating pollution in different waterways around my state, definitely talked a lot about water pollution. I'm not sure if I would still be able to an EE on water pollution after that, does anyone know? I feel like it's a little too similar.

I'm also interested in renewable energy, but I don't really have much to go off of right now. I had planned to do something about the economic/environmental sustainability of renewable energy in eastern Australia, but I moved schools in the middle of IB and the supervisor at my new school doesn't want me doing world studies. 

I could possibly evaluate current government policies on renewable energy in Australia at state/commonwealth levels (and potentially make suggestions to future ones and evaluate that too?), but I'm scared that won't be too ESS/sciencey enough, or I might not have enough to fill 4000 words.

Thank you for any tips you might have! 😭