Current Course of IB

SteffenCarter

6 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

Could you maybe specify about a certain aspect please? IB is taught in many different schools and your experience will be very different depending where you go, what courses you pick, etc.

Well i want to know about the IB curriculum in Singapore. What is the current syllabus for secondary level and other necessary things which one must know before this programme. 

The curriculum (that doesn't necessarily mean the same experience in class) is pretty standard, so I'll try to answer this. In IB you take six courses, three of which are HL and three of which are SL (you can do four and two but this is the standard option). You will have IA's in all your classes (projects graded by your teachers) and externals (exams or work graded by graders whom you do not know). In addition, you'll do CAS and write an Extended Essay. The workload is significant for high school, depending of course on how much you want to focus on academics. If you're shooting for a 40 you'll spend more time than a student aiming for a 24. You can read about specific course curriculum on the IBO's website. 

14 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

The curriculum (that doesn't necessarily mean the same experience in class) is pretty standard, so I'll try to answer this. In IB you take six courses, three of which are HL and three of which are SL (you can do four and two but this is the standard option). You will have IA's in all your classes (projects graded by your teachers) and externals (exams or work graded by graders whom you do not know). In addition, you'll do CAS and write an Extended Essay. The workload is significant for high school, depending of course on how much you want to focus on academics. If you're shooting for a 40 you'll spend more time than a student aiming for a 24. You can read about specific course curriculum on the IBO's website. 

Thanks for sharing the information. I am not yet clear with if this is the apart from secondary level curriculum, how a child manage to study this course. Isn't a child feel double pressure of studying normal syllabus as well IB syllabus at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 2:57 AM, SteffenCarter said:

Thanks for sharing the information. I am not yet clear with if this is the apart from secondary level curriculum, how a child manage to study this course. Isn't a child feel double pressure of studying normal syllabus as well IB syllabus at the same time?

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask, but I'll give it my best shot. Depending on the school, your freshman (9th) and sophomore (10th) year you will take non-IB courses, or Pre-IB courses. Actual IB courses will start in your junior year (11th grade), and the "normal syllabus" will be discontinued. From the start of junior year, you will take IB courses, some of which you decide if you want to take HL or SL that year. An example of this is math. Students are required to decide to take SL or HL math their junior year. However, this is not the case for most subjects. For other subjects, you simply just take IB ____ and in your senior year, you decide which 3 subjects you want as your HL and which three you want as SL.

4 hours ago, SlaveOfIB said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask, but I'll give it my best shot. Depending on the school, your freshman (9th) and sophomore (10th) year you will take non-IB courses, or Pre-IB courses. Actual IB courses will start in your junior year (11th grade), and the "normal syllabus" will be discontinued. From the start of junior year, you will take IB courses, some of which you decide if you want to take HL or SL that year. An example of this is math. Students are required to decide to take SL or HL math their junior year. However, this is not the case for most subjects. For other subjects, you simply just take IB ____ and in your senior year, you decide which 3 subjects you want as your HL and which three you want as SL.

Yes exactly i wanted to ask whether the normal syllabus will be discounted or not. Now my doubts are clear. Thank you so much for the help.