Taking a math methods exam instead of doing Math SL?

asdfghjkl45

Hi,

I want to study undergraduate medicine in Australia (preferably at Monash) and I've noticed that some courses don't require math SL. Whilst I'm probably capable of a achieving pretty well in math SL I'd rather take studies in order to maximise my IB score. I've heard from other people at my school that I could take a Queensland math B exam (I think in other Australian states it's called math methods) so that I can apply to the courses that actually require math SL and also match my competition in applying for the courses that don't, without damaging my IB score. 

Would this be a good idea or would it hurt my chances of getting in? 

11 hours ago, King112 said:

So here's the thing. if you don't do math SL you won't get your IB diploma. You'll get certificates. I'm not sure if unis would accept that. I reckon your best bet would be to stick with math sl and work hard on it.

Wait what?? According to who? My school has never mentioned that.

2 hours ago, asdfghjkl45 said:

Wait what?? According to who? My school has never mentioned that.

https://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/become-an-ib-school/dp-general-regulations-en.pdf Page 6 onwards details what you need to get the diploma.

I don't think you can take the Queensland exam in place of the Math HL/SL exam.

5 hours ago, King112 said:

https://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/become-an-ib-school/dp-general-regulations-en.pdf Page 6 onwards details what you need to get the diploma.

I don't think you can take the Queensland exam in place of the Math HL/SL exam.

I think what @asdfghjkl45 meant is to use Math B to apply as an in-state student as opposed to apply with IB score. It's like how in the US some people take AP courses in addition to IB.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:46 AM, kw0573 said:

I think what @asdfghjkl45 meant is to use Math B to apply as an in-state student as opposed to apply with IB score. It's like how in the US some people take AP courses in addition to IB.

I meant can I do math studies SL and still complete full IB and apply with my diploma score, but also take a Math B exam so that it can also be included in my university application.

• 2 months later...