advice needed :)

janiya

Hi, I am an 8th grader and I have been planning to go into the IB program once I am a junior. At the high school I am going to go, you are required to be in the Pre-IB/ Scholars program to register into the actual IBDP. A lot of my friends have told me not to and that I will have no social life if I do this. However, I knew someone who did the IBDP while playing basketball and working. I would like to know if it is really as burdening as people make it sound. (I know it is different for everyone depending on personal choices) I would also like to know what subjects would be best for me to take.

These are the classes I would like to take:

- English SL

- Math HL

- Spanish SL

- Biology HL

- Chemistry HL

- History HL

+TOK

However my school only offers some of these subjects in HL/SL. If I talk to a coordinator, is it possible to change this? English is only offered in HL, Chemistry is only offered in SL, and History is only offered in HL.  I would really like to pursue biomedical engineering in college. Would this be the best subjects for me?

Thank you so much in advance for any answers and advice. Sorry it’s a lot to read!

I recommend that you also take a year of high school physics, in addition to IB, to apply to any engineering. I would recommend taking Math Analysis and Approach HL (not applications and interpretations) and Biology HL. IBDP require about 2-5 hours of studying everyday, depending on time of year or subjects combo, you can judge for yourself for social life and such. English HL is much valuable than History HL, and History HL is as difficult as Math HL. For course changes you should consult with your coordinator, but you should be able to change them in first few weeks of IB, at the minimum.

1 hour ago, kw0573 said:

I recommend that you also take a year of high school physics, in addition to IB, to apply to any engineering. I would recommend taking Math Analysis and Approach HL (not applications and interpretations) and Biology HL. IBDP require about 2-5 hours of studying everyday, depending on time of year or subjects combo, you can judge for yourself for social life and such. English HL is much valuable than History HL, and History HL is as difficult as Math HL. For course changes you should consult with your coordinator, but you should be able to change them in first few weeks of IB, at the minimum.

Thank you so much for your help! I am planning on taking AP Physics in my sophomore year. I will have to see if the Math Analysis and Approach HL class is offered at my high school since there is very limited information.

Edited by janiya

I’m in pre-ib grade 10 right now and i would say, it is harder compared to academic, but it isn’t unmanageable. The HL and SL courses that your school offers is set and stone. The school determines what type of course they offer based off of past experience. In my current school, I have friends who are trying to protest for some other HL courses but the success rate of that is usually very low. 

• Thanks 1