N09 M10. To what extent is truth different in mathematics, the arts and ethics?

FahaD

Well personally, I don't believe that truth exists in art because its so complicated and subjective. I mean if it does, you have bunch of things to talk about. What is the difference between truth in realism versus truth in cubism. Art is completely subjective, and depending on each person's subjective interpretation, they will walk away with a different meaning.

Hi,

im doing

to what extent is truth in mathematics, the arts, and ethics?

I need help with the opening paragraph.

im trying to define truth but i thought of defining Justified true belief first,

so far i defined justifcation but truth is hard to understand and closely related to knowledge, should i mention that?

Thanks

Many people believe that truth is more easily accessed in the arts than any other area as it is believed to be 'unadulterated truth'. This is based on the belief that when we perceive something with our senses, we receive the clearest possible picture of the world external to ourselves that a human can command. That is, what we perceive is, as yet, uninfluenced by past experience, culture, thought, intellectualization... in short, all that has happened is that our eyes have seen, our ears have heard, hands have felt, we have tasted or smelt, all on a purely biological level, without any interpretation or prejudice that human thought brings. (Stay with me) And so this is called 'true perception'. Art, particularly abstract art, free verse poems etcetera, are often said to be as close a reflection of this 'true perception' as human kind can muster due to the determinately unprejudiced, non-scientific/mathematical, unreasoned nature of artworks, particularly modern art.

So here truth is different because art sees truth as 'perception untainted by calculation and human prejudice', and is therefore relative to the perception of the person, where mathematics and science will commonly see truth as inherent in nature, objective and independent of 'self', while still able to be interpreted, inferred, deducted and reasoned.

And this is, of course, ignoring Descartes words 'I think therefore I am' which imply that nothing can be known outside of oneself.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!

• Like 1

How is truth defined in art? how is it different from ethics and math?

I'm a bit confused in arts :) Can someone elaborate on this?

art is THE subject open to interpretation. there is no "truth" in art, if by truth you mean cold hard fact, no opinion. art is ALL opinion, the artist expresses that opinion throught their artwork, thats what art is.

ethics is a little touchy, but usually people can agree on a right and a wrong, and math there is just plain right and wrong, 1+1=2, no other answer.

math there is just plain right and wrong, 1+1=2, no other answer.

A thought for you.

If maths can attain certainty, then it's certain that the square root of 9 is plus or minus 3.

However, empirically, the root of 9 is only plus three (imagine you've got 9 apples and divide them into 3 groups... you can't have -3 apples can you...)

So is maths certain?

Investigate how "truth" is determined in these areas of knowledge could be a starting point. Kinda tired right now so can't really give any more pointers.

What you want to do is compare and contrast between the AoKs; do not write mini essays for each AoK and fail to tie it all together in the end.

ohh i remember this! i was reading through the tok essay titles and i think we're actually meant to have started....whoops

my initial thoughts were more: what is truth in these subjects?

i thought that truth in math was a solution, truth in art was an interpretation/meaning and truth in ethics was finding what is "right"

sorry i doubt that's very helpful D: i haven't had time to think about it in detail yet (and i'll probably be choosing another one).

GOOD LUCK!

I had a writeup similar to this as a ToK practice essay not long ago. I haven't gotten it graded back yet, but it might contain some ideas about a thing or two. The topic was "Can one have objective knowledge?" (worded a bit differently). However, I have seen objective knowledge in diverse aspects of life (such as culture, science and religion). I also find that objective knowledge will be somewhat similar to some sort of "ultimate truth".'

A little edit after some thought:

Arts - Truth isn't necessary in any works of art. Truth will really be based upon the viewers opinions and such. Art that tells a story could probably somehow be true, but it can still be perceived differently from person to person

Math - everyone has a common way of doing math. 1+1=2 in all cases. You might include that abstract theory that each 1 is different from the others and thus 1+1 only equals 2 assuming all 1's all 2's are exactly the same

Ethics is a bit like religion in my essay - People also have their own opinions here, but it is not about what is ethical or not. It is a sort of "do or don't". If you are an ethical person, you will assume it's true that all mean acts towards other humans are a disgrace and a generally disgraceful/demerit thing. If you don't believe in ethics (some sort of hedonist there..) you will think that it isn't true and the only truth is your own sort of mindset for each and every action that one can perform.

The ethics bit is kinda sketchy, but I suppose it leaves a lot of room for discussion in your essay (hooray, talking wiht yourself!)

Edited by deissi
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You could use the idea of absolute truth vs relative truth - subjective vs objective; Plato vs Nietzshe, for example.

Math is more revolved around absolute truth, which exists in reality and does not depend on what we think it to be.

The arts are more about relative truth, one's independent interpretation of reality. Look up the poem: Six Wise Men of Hindustan. You could also use the coherence theory to discuss truth in art.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i have completed my first draft for my TOK essay and just want to get some information on this topic. my supervisor said that i should relate it to the areas of knowledge: logic, perception....

i really need help in this so i know if i was not crapping stuff on 4 pages of paper...

thanks

I don't think that logic and perception are areas of knowledge-- they're ways of knowing. Just in case you write it wrong, because it'll definitely show!

I always found the best thing to do was to elect an area of knowledge as particularly representative of a particular way of knowing. So Art was always perception (the only way we can gain knowledge from art, really) and I always used science as my example for logic. Then you can do arguments and counterarguments by rambling on about different perceptions (how does a colourblind person appreciate a painting, that sort of thing) and similarly in science by talking about how all we know is just empirical information we can never officially prove all stuffed into a series of models which don't always reflect reality, so what is true.... cue spooky music of mysteriousness P:

That way you fulfill the criterion of linking ways of knowing & areas of knowledge together, as well as your arguments and counterarguments. Kind-of basic and lacking in subtlety, but provided you fish out some original examples and thoughts along those lines, I think it's quite an easy springboard to start from (:

• 3 weeks later...

You do have to focus on perception, though. Otherwise you'll never be able to discuss ways of knowing and therefore not really be able to examine the subject in a TOK-ish way. Particularly as you're dealing with art! Although you're answering the question set, you can't avoid parts of it because they remind you of another title. One of the key ways to deal with any TOK essay is to look instantly for how we know what we know and then, particularly with this question, its limitations and strengths.

I think that some discussion of interpretation is essential to this essay, because I don't see where the marks can come from without it O:

i am also doing this essay topic as i type this hah and it can be simple if you break it up: art is subjective, every1 is entitled to their own perception (perceptioin is the main way of knowing here) yet maths at face value seems to be objective and absolute but if you go into imaginary numbers, the subjectivity comes into it. Ethics is mainly subjective due to peoples moral codes being different due to many factors (upbringing, religion, personal morals) so yea

• Like 1