Should I quit Computer Science?

liam_grindea

We already had some 25-30 hours or so but I don't get anything and my teacher told me that he is not sure that this subject is for me. 

I am a generally good student and I'm only having a hard time when it comes to experimental sciences and computers. 

The 2 options that i have now is to either stay and suffer, or I can move to biology SL and start from zero. What do you think I should do? Is biology a harder subject? Am I lost forever?

Hi, welcome to IB Survival.

Full disclosure: I study computer science at university.

It may be that you take to biology more, but I think that it won't necessarily be easy to catch up to the class and teach yourself the material they've learned which is something to consider. My advice would be to identify if it's just that you have struggled in the class or if you really dislike it. If you truly dislike it, then perhaps the best thing will be to switch to biology. Also you say that you have a hard time with experimental sciences, the bio IA is usually you conducting some sort of experiment. But again, there's not much sense in forcing something to work when you have the option to change it and that's completely fine.

If you don't hate computer science, then you might want to stay in the class. Even if you don't love at the moment, that's fine. I have some classes that I like less than others. That's completely okay. If you don't mind, could you tell me what you've covered/done so far and personally what material has been difficult for you?. It's different to hate writing UML diagrams and analyzing circuitry vs hating writing code. Also, for computer science, there is a steep learning curve that levels off generally.

If you want to stay in, I'd recommend trying to do something like Codeacademy or something on the side, just a little bit as I'm sure your busy. That will really help to get you up to speed re: programming and even have an advantage when you start IA's. The comp. sci. IA is a big one but it can be very fun or very not fun depending on your perspective. 

• Like 1

Thank you for this long and detailed answer! so far we have covered Database (using MySQL workbench), normalization, and we are currently deep in Java. in Java, we are learning all the operators and the how's, and we are doing it through class exercises and homework's that currently im not managing to do.

• 2 weeks later...