Biology e.e help

Vasundhra

Heya!

I'm doing my extended essay in biology on the topic: To investigate the effect the change in hydrogen ion concentration (pH) has on the locomotion of a paramecium. well, after writing 3500 words im stuck! Once i conducted the experiment, i found that the change in locomotion is drastically different when i use Hydrochloric acid and Sulphuric acid! This is obviously because they are two different acids!! but i need some solid points on how to continue further, im in a major dilemma and cant seem to find anything online! well if any of you guys have any idea please do help!! i need to know why this is happening to my Paramecia....

Edited by Vasundhra

I have turned your topic over and over again in my head, sicne I am locking in my topic atm as well for biology.

Quiet frankly, I would simply talk to your teacher or seek the guidance from a professor that's near by (don't forget to make citations though).

Your topic itself is interesting, but it locks in the idea on one single experiment. I would try to link the PH to cellular respiration, looking at the rate of cellular respiration and its links to the acid. however, this is a much larger issue, that should not merely be skimmed but is of EE quality. Try different sized paramecium, and maybe link it to cellular surface area - if the growth is even drastic enough.

You only talked about one experiment in your extended essay? IMO, you should try to fit in another one.

Btw, for the people wrote their EE in Biology, did really go into the details of chemistry too? Or is it considered wrong to talk about the chemical aspect too? I'm kinda hesistating between Bio and Chem for my EE.

the IB EE guide, specifically notes that a topic in "biochemistry, will be scored under the topic submitted". One of the biggest problems is crossing over between topics, especially in group 4 and economics and history mix. So make sure you stick with only one topic.

Like my photosynthesis rate experiments, only analyze the biological aspects of a plant. a good way to make sure you are always within the topic range, is follow your assessment statements theme.

You only talked about one experiment in your extended essay? IMO, you should try to fit in another one.

Another experiment? im already comparing their locomotion in two different acids and then comparing this to their movement in an alkali. you still think i should add more experiments? if yes, please do recommend some.

Edited by Vasundhra

• 3 months later...

Vasundhra if you are wondering why is it that the locomotion changes so abruptly between HCL and H2SO4 the answer is quite simple(assuming that you are using same concentrations and quantities of both acids). Sulphuric acid is diprotic: this means that when it dissociates, it releases 2x hydrogen ions compared to hydrochloric. I hope that this helps you!