Hi I have a question about my Internal Assessment.

keqiqkhans

Hello everyone,

I am trying to come up with an interesting internal assessment idea for Biology HL that can be performed in the average high school classroom here in the United States.

My initial question is as follows: “What is the effect of temperature (5, 10, 15 degrees Celcius) on the rate of respiration of E. coli  bacteria as measured by a Respirometer?”

I really like this question, but as my instructor pointed out, the obvious flaw with it is that I do not have access to a respirometer capable of doing what I need it to do in a conventional high school classroom. 

As stated, I really like my topic and do not want to let it go. Does anyone have any similar alternatives to this idea that could be done using standard equipment found in a high school classroom?? I would greatly appreciate any/all suggestions!

(I chose this topic to try to model the bacteria in your gut that respire everytime you “fart,” and thought that it’d be pretty cool to model their respiration rate against temperature).