Super confused about the Failing Conditions!

Loïk Steininger

Hey everyone,

So I have looked all over for the list of failing conditions, both at school and online and I'm very confused. My school is terribly equipped to teach IB, and all students are confused about a variety of different aspects, none of which are properly clarified. Due to health and strong anxiety, I've been allowed to do my IB diploma exams over two sessions (that is not to say they were retakes). Last May Idid 4 subjects, including my EE and TOK but my teachers are worried that I'll get a 2 in my Maths HL course and that I will therefore fail my IB, no matter the points I get in total.

So these are my grades so far: Biology HL = 4, French A SL = 6, English A LaL HL = 6, History SL = 4. So that's 20 points total.

I just did my Chemistry exam last week and I think it went alright but can someone clarify the failing conditions for me? Will I fail if I get a 2 in Mathematics HL, despite having over 24 points?

I'm super worried as it is the subject I worked on the least and I might very well get a 2 in it! My school claims that one 2 at HL is an automatic fail!

Sorry to bother you guys but thanks to anyone that can help me out!

Loïk Steininger

https://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/become-an-ib-school/dp-general-regulations-en.pdf (published April 2014)

See, Article 13.2 (copied below)

13.2 The IB Diploma will be awarded to a candidate provided all the following requirements have been met.

• a. CAS requirements have been met.
  • b. The candidate’s total points are 24 or more.
  • c. There is no “N” awarded for theory of knowledge, the extended essay or for a contributing subject.
  • d. There is no grade E awarded for theory of knowledge and/or the extended essay.
  • e. There is no grade 1 awarded in a subject/level.
  • f. There are no more than two grade 2s awarded (HL or SL).
  • g. There are no more than three grade 3s or below awarded (HL or SL).
  • h. The candidate has gained 12 points or more on HL subjects (for candidates who register for four HL subjects, the three highest grades count).
  • i. The candidate has gained 9 points or more on SL subjects (candidates who register for two SL subjects must gain at least 5 points at SL).
  • j. The candidate has not received a penalty for academic misconduct from the Final Award Committee.

So, with a 2 in one subject, you should be fine.

• Like 1