Is IB really worth it?

Lily5883

I am in my 2nd quarter of junior year of IB. Starting from this year, I have been super stressed and literally can not stand it anymore. IOP’s are coming up and all my classes in general are overwhelming me. Is IB worth sticking to? I feel that my health has declined so much, I’ve been super down everyday and family issues are also bad. Would it be too late to drop out to a traditional school or take online classes? How would my credits and grades etc transfer or affect me? Would it be more work to make up missed classes that are required in a traditional school setting? 

• Like 1

Same. I literally felt the same way. I was thinking of dropping out as well about a month ago cause I was so overwhelmed I really felt like I couldn't do it anymore. I don't feel that way anymore though. I guess it's just about waiting and being patient. The IB is a rollercoaster. That's what they've always told me and what I now actually believe myself. There are moments where I just want to leave everything as it is and drop out and then moments where i feel so on top of my assignments and so organized that for a brief moment I think I can get a 45 (hah, I wish). My suggestion is to just wait, it's going to get better soon and then it's gonna be bad again. I guess that's just how it works. Just surround yourself with positive people that will push you when you feel like dropping out and people that will encourage you to always do your best. Good Luck! V. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me too 😭😭 iops are coming up in a week and my teacher wants a analyzed and detailed speech memorized with little summary! I’m so bad at public speaking and my topic as I didn’t realize earlier, is mainly summary based so I’m really screwed. What happens if you fail your iop? Anyone know?

Hey, I'm another first year IB student here. Honestly, I can relate in that I've considered dropping out of the program within the first few weeks of the program, but I keep telling myself that I should stick with it longer to get a better idea of what IB really entails. I'm rooting for you guys! You can do it. :')

Stress can be a good thing, but being overly stressed definitely isn't great. Thinking of the accomplishment of (hopefully) getting the diploma, as well as the challenge in the program itself is my motivation to keep going, haha. You're the best judge of whether or not you should drop out, so if there is any part of you that feels inclined to stay, I would say to just stick with IB for a while longer. Before you know it, two years might just fly by and you'll be graduating! And vice-versa, if you genuinely can't stand the program anymore, and feel nothing but misery, then do what's best for you. :'D

I'm not sure how different the curriculum is in the United States, but for me in Canada, I've been told that there are some things in the Canadian curriculum that do not apply to IB, and vice-versa (since IB is an international curriculum, after all), so there may be differences when trying to catch up in the normal class. However, take my words with a grain of salt because I'm not certain to what extent the curricula differ. I think the best solution is to ask your school counselor or IB coordinator about this.

As for the IOP, my English Literature teacher has stated that they are worth 15% of your overall IB grade. Even if you fail your IOP, the external exams in May 2020 are going to be worth the most. Keep in mind that you also have your IOC (Individual Oral Commentary) as a second chance to maybe bring up your mark if you didn't do so well on your IOP. At my school, the IOC is done in the second year of the program--not sure about how it works in your school!

I suck at public speaking, too. I was honestly so shocked to be bombarded with the IOP, as I had to do mine a month after IB started. Yes, your presentation should include analysis of the topic you've chosen in the text you're studying, but do the best you can. I mean, it's probably your first big presentation in IB, so you still have plenty of time to learn. If you're presenting your IOP in a week, I would suggest that you should finish writing it if you haven't already, since if you're like me and need the time to fully memorize the speech, it'll be best to allow yourself a few days just for memorizing (especially when it's such a long presentation!). It'll feel a lot better once you get it over with, so look forward to that! I wish you the best of luck with your IOP and IB in general, I hope we all survive! ^^

Edited by Solstice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! I plan on finishing up today and start memorizing by tomorrow. I present on the 5th and I hope I do good, obviously lol. I am just scared that my speech is too much summary and not enough analysis so I’m trying to add more analysis in. I don’t know when we do our IOC but I did hear it’s harder than the IOP.... I guess I will have to wait and see 😆 also is the iop and IOC combined 15% or 15% each? I keep reading different answers online.

Also I did ask the university (UF) I want to go to and they said that taking IB vs traditional has no benefit in terms of getting in, makes me wonder if I really should drop out..... and gain back some of my “normalcy”. 

20 years from now, whether you get a 1 or 7 on the IOP, if I ask you how you did on your IOP you won't even know what I'm talking about. You won't remember how you did. You won't care. 

As a current student, your perspective is a bit skewed. You want to do well, so you place importance on these things. That's really good. But the trick is to also have some perspective and realize that a lot it doesn't really matter so you shouldn't stress so much over it. Do your best, and be content with that.

Dropping out of IB is absolutely fine too. If you think that that will help and that you're currently overloaded with responsibilities then that's the way to go.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone!

We are from Australia and we LOVE IB! Its really hard we aren't going to lie but it will be worth it in the end! The way they teach you to think and learn will really help you in the future. TOK is so interesting if you like thinking and understanding how things work and connect to each other. The biggest thing that I wasn't keen on was doing a second language but I'm actually really enjoying it. 

My biggest piece of advice is....

1. Figure out the way you do your notes in the first few weeks so that you are set and don't have to go back and redo them later on. 

2. Do an art even if you are slightly interested in one of them... opens up so many doors

3. Plan out times that you just relax and do nothing (mines friday afternoon)

GOod luck !!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

i thought IB was too hard, but changed my mind ....just work hard and you will succeed. if you are lazy and expect godo grades, then suck it up. Im ashamed of myself for procrastinating, but you get what you work for...if you dont work hard, then you dont get a pass. its life. ib teaches you to work hard and get good ethic. 

• Like 1