john_wrot

I'm going to take IB next year and I want to know what to do in preparation for the course. I am going to take HL maths, physics and economics. SL chemistry, english and AB spanish. I am scared I am not going to have time to play games and do sports. I mostly rely on video games as a source of happiness so I don't know what to do and will I have time to hang out with friends outside of school. 

As much as time and organisation skills play a role in developing better grades, another significant factor is that you study productively. You could be studying for an hour a day and still obtain more knowledge than someone who studies five hours a day. 

I had someone tell me a story of their friend who literally isolated themselves from their social life for his final year in the HSC. He cancelled his soccer, broke up with his girlfriend, literally put a timer on for 30 mins whenever his best friends would have a birthday party and leave once the alarm goes off (mind you, those would be the only times he would hang out with his friends) and studied more than two hours a day. Oh, he didn't do the IB but did the HSC instead. Anyways, he scored pretty good but some of his friends received higher grades than him, even though they had their soccer practice, girlfriends, hung out with friends on the weekend and whatnot. 

My point is, it's not about how much you study but how well you study. 

As for your subjects, I take the complete opposite so I can't really assure you on that but best of luck!

Edited by ohkay
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You will connect with other IB students who feel the same.

In my IB grad class around half of the students played league and they would play together. They even made a fundraising tournament and count it towards CAS.

I gotta be honest in that I didn't hang out with people outside of school, but IB isn't gonna be your entire life. It's a phase and it will end.