extended essay worry!!

COUTUREBRANDO

Hey everyone

I'm just here to release my thoughts and worries cause they're just building up and get some advice (hopefully from people who have already finished IB or people who are going through the same thing) 

I just gave in my extended essay on literature and I'm kind of freaking out. I wrote it over the summer to save me time from worrying about it last minute and finished it by being told that we had to cite anything we PARAPHRASED. I did not know this. Therefore, I went back, changed and cited all the things that I KNOW weren't my ideas but I guess I was kinda lucky since most of it was all mine anyway. What I'm scared of, however, is I'm writing it on a very popular book with very similar opinions on it. I'm worried that something I wrote would be similar to something someone else wrote online even though I didn't take anything from it. I'm also very worried that I missed something whilst referencing. I know damn well I didn't copy anything word for word besides quotes and tried to cite everything I took from online. Our school still haven't run anything through turn it in or wtv but I'm hoping they would notify us if anything looks unusual. 

I just need advice cause I'm really not in the mood to lose my diploma over something that I didn't even intend on happening. 

Hi welcome to the forum.

IB does give the candidate benefit of the doubt on academic dishonesty. That means they will not penalize you unless they have overwhelming evidence that you intentionally copied somebody else's work. They explicitly state that what dignifies as significant evidence almost always means the work the student is accused to copy from. Since you paraphrased and cited nearly everything, IB cannot bring any case against you (and what you did is most likely ok having said all this).

• 1 year later...

Hi, im very worried 

Today I was sended to my teacher who is the director of the Ib program and told me that he wanted to talk to me urgently. That urgently was my extended essay. He showed me the email that the Ib sended saying that I was accused of copying pasting in my essay because theres a part where its all underlined red. But my teacher who was helping doing the essay, she put my essay in turn it in and she would even tell me if i needed to change something or rephrase it. Therefore he told me that i have to fill out a academic form and send it to the Ib. 

Im just hoping that they dont take my diploma :(

What should I do?

On 11/15/2018 at 4:39 PM, COUTUREBRANDO said:

Hey everyone

I'm just here to release my thoughts and worries cause they're just building up and get some advice (hopefully from people who have already finished IB or people who are going through the same thing) 

I just gave in my extended essay on literature and I'm kind of freaking out. I wrote it over the summer to save me time from worrying about it last minute and finished it by being told that we had to cite anything we PARAPHRASED. I did not know this. Therefore, I went back, changed and cited all the things that I KNOW weren't my ideas but I guess I was kinda lucky since most of it was all mine anyway. What I'm scared of, however, is I'm writing it on a very popular book with very similar opinions on it. I'm worried that something I wrote would be similar to something someone else wrote online even though I didn't take anything from it. I'm also very worried that I missed something whilst referencing. I know damn well I didn't copy anything word for word besides quotes and tried to cite everything I took from online. Our school still haven't run anything through turn it in or wtv but I'm hoping they would notify us if anything looks unusual. 

I just need advice cause I'm really not in the mood to lose my diploma over something that I didn't even intend on happening. 

I feel you bro. I feel you I really do.