marianne

• 11 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, marianne said:

I am currently editing my Film EE, and my advisor (not very experienced in IB) suggested that i define mise-en-scene in my essay. Is this true?? Or is there no definition needed, as it is a film term??

Do not define basic cinematic terms! I am doing my EE on Film Studies since the IB course is offered at my school and I luckily have an incredible supervisor. He has stressed that basic film terminology should never be defined since you will be stating the obvious. My supervisor told me that instead of defining something directly, I should define it in context. For example, if I want to discuss mise en scene, rather than giving the exact definition, it would be much more effective to writ something along the lines of "The implementation of mise en scene elements within this film/scene/sequence/etc. was beneficial due to the fact that it successfully evoked...within the audience". Doing something like this would show the person reading your essay that you not only know what mise en scene is, but you're getting to the analyzing right from the start. I hope this helps someone :)