Countdown to May 2009 Exams

avrila

My mocks just finished today. Didn't have time to revise for History Paper 3 since we had Economics and Bio Options on the same day. Had to write a really general essay on Booker T and Du Bois, couldn't even remember what century they lived in.

The only thing the mocks helped with was convincing me that I'll know all the material for the May exams, since I'll have a month of study leave before them. This time I started revision the weekend before, and still managed to answer all questions half decently or at least guess now.

The grades from mock exams get sent to the IB so they have predicted grades for everyone. It's pointless really, since no one in my school studies hard for mocks and gets way better grades in the final exams. But other schools probably send midterm exam marks instead. Our mocks are our end of term exams.

Someone told me that the IB does appeals on the basis of mock exam grades. This can't be true, can it? So for example, if I got a 4 in my English mock and then a 5 in my final exam, and wanted to appeal the decision because I thought I deserved a 6 rather than a 5, the IB wouldn't remark it based on the fact that I was only predicted a 4. Sounds ridiculous.

Edited by Vvi

I anticipated Swedish. Most people anticipate subjects in North America.

mahuta: what point is there in studying for the mocks? :)

I anticipated biology and economics. :) Universities base acceptances (well, conditional offers) on predicted grades, which are predominantly the grades from mocks. However, the cond offers are rather low (or maybe just the ones given out early???) so everything depends on the mocks (and tests throughout the year)!

The grades from mock exams get sent to the IB so they have predicted grades for everyone. It's pointless really, since no one in my school studies hard for mocks and gets way better grades in the final exams. But other schools probably send midterm exam marks instead. Our mocks are our end of term exams.

Someone told me that the IB does appeals on the basis of mock exam grades. This can't be true, can it? So for example, if I got a 4 in my English mock and then a 5 in my final exam, and wanted to appeal the decision because I thought I deserved a 6 rather than a 5, the IB wouldn't remark it based on the fact that I was only predicted a 4. Sound ridiculous.

Yes, this is true. It's stupid but they don't want too many people to do EuRs.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread stresses me out. We have mocks week 12, but I haven't even started on my B&M IA, and my Math IA is not done, and the there's all the German Orals on top of that... Fortunately we have Sports Vacation week 10 -_- Should I be worried about the IA:s btw? When shall they be sent away for assessment?

mahuta: what point is there in studying for the mocks?

What point is there in taking the mocks then!?

As far as I know the deadline for all AI is the 1st of march.

My mocks are in 5 days lol and I havent started studying yet. -_- I know I should be worried.

Edited by mahuta

March 15 is the date when the IAs and all should be sent. (Or if the examiner should have it by then...?) But it's highly likely that your school has an internal deadline earlier than that.

We have mocks weeks nine and ten, but before that we have a week of holidays... And I just did my A1 oral today, so now there last oral component for my whole IB Diploma is the English oral (which is next Thursday - ugh!). After that there really isn't much left! :S I'm both super excited and terrified. Because what if I don't like life outside of the protected school world? And what if I miss highschool?! It's been a good time, honestly...

Oh well. YAY MAY.

March 15 is the date when the IAs and all should be sent. (Or if the examiner should have it by then...?) But it's highly likely that your school has an internal deadline earlier than that.

We have mocks weeks nine and ten, but before that we have a week of holidays... And I just did my A1 oral today, so now there last oral component for my whole IB Diploma is the English oral (which is next Thursday - ugh!). After that there really isn't much left! :S I'm both super excited and terrified. Because what if I don't like life outside of the protected school world? And what if I miss highschool?! It's been a good time, honestly...

Oh well. YAY MAY.

March 15 is the date that they have to arrive at the examiner's. So the internal school deadline should be considerably earlier.

We started Maths SL revision two weeks ago. It's so extremely boring, and I'm having troubles making myself focus on remembering everything because... I don't know why, actually. =( It's much more fun to learn new interesting things than to relearn the old boring stuff, I guess.

Oh, and my history teacher officially said last Monday that we "have finished the course" and are now starting revision. (But we've revised several topics during the course already, so we're not starting from scratch again with the topics we did in early IB1. Fortunately!)

In all my other subjects, teachers are scrambling to get everything done; with two A1 works and one A2 work left, the A languages are pretty problematic. But in Chemistry we have about one and a half options left still as well!

So I'm half-half with being done or not. Since I just did my French B oral last week, going to French class feels really unnecessary right now. I know the grammar and we barely do anything...

But the mocks are in two weeks, so I think I'll manage to get some studying done before then.

How many IAs, orals, portfolios and things do you guys have left? I counted to six the other day, including final CAS things and the ToK essay... Eep!

I was just doing a checklist! I have 3 practical write-ups and few CAS forms to finish then im done. I handed in my ITGS project and my TOK essay today.

One thing im really worried about, our math course.

We are still on vectors...which means we're so behind, and our teachers are rushing so much.

Besides Avrila, is anyone else still there?