Countdown to May 2009 Exams

avrila

One thing im really worried about, our math course.

We are still on vectors...which means we're so behind, and our teachers are rushing so much.

Besides Avrila, is anyone else still there?

We won't be done the HL Option for another month or so. So basically we get a month's revision time! We also rushed for Stats/Probability, which is probably why I dislike the latter.

Oh, how glorious. I just finished my first week of mocks, and the thought that in three months' time I will be completely done with my final IB exams is looming closer. Whoop.

It is extremely taxing to have so much thinky time required in such a high concentration, but I'm really glad we get this chance to practise. Juggling information and revision in this way is truly an art--!

Who else is doing mocks? How are you finding them?

Oh, how glorious. I just finished my first week of mocks, and the thought that in three months' time I will be completely done with my final IB exams is looming closer. Whoop.

It is extremely taxing to have so much thinky time required in such a high concentration, but I'm really glad we get this chance to practise. Juggling information and revision in this way is truly an art--!

Who else is doing mocks? How are you finding them?

Yeah, mocks are good and very useful practice. We did mocks during IB1 too, and now we'll soon be doing them again (week 12). But you actually have several mock weeks? We have only a single week, which is even worse... the exams aren't really concentrated into just a week..

We kind of have to have two whole weeks, because there are so many different subject combinations that it wouldn't be physically possible for everybody to do all subjects in just one week. There is one or two papers scheduled in the morning and one or two in the afternoon, so we're doing it as fast as we can, I guess... :)

But this year's exam schedule sucks as far as most of the students at my school are concerned, because almost everything is in the first week. We have A1 language and A2 language, History, and Maths in the first week, plus... Biology, is it? Maybe Economics; I have a couple of free periods in the first week, but they are Not Numerous, so ... The real exams will be a nightmare, I reckon, even with this practice.

We kind of have to have two whole weeks, because there are so many different subject combinations that it wouldn't be physically possible for everybody to do all subjects in just one week. There is one or two papers scheduled in the morning and one or two in the afternoon, so we're doing it as fast as we can, I guess... :)

But this year's exam schedule sucks as far as most of the students at my school are concerned, because almost everything is in the first week. We have A1 language and A2 language, History, and Maths in the first week, plus... Biology, is it? Maybe Economics; I have a couple of free periods in the first week, but they are Not Numerous, so ... The real exams will be a nightmare, I reckon, even with this practice.

Yes, actually now when you mention it, we have Maths, Biology and Language A1 and A2 the same single week...and History, I believe, but luckily I'm not a History student.. It'll be nightmare, for sure. Language exams are quite easy, but Biology and Maths on the same day? it's so much to remember in those subjects..

5th July.

We're having Math and Biology mocks all the time, sometimes 2 papers a week. They're not actually stressful, beacuse we have them in class as usual. But Math Paper 2 is still difficult to finish on time, I always rush at the end and don't get all the questions answered. I hate that the msot out of all the IB papers.

5th July.

We're having Math and Biology mocks all the time, sometimes 2 papers a week. They're not actually stressful, beacuse we have them in class as usual. But Math Paper 2 is still difficult to finish on time, I always rush at the end and don't get all the questions answered. I hate that the msot out of all the IB papers.

How do you know the date?

There's one site that everyone views them on, right? It opens at a certain time and then gets really clogged because all the IB students worldwide try to log on at the same time. That's what people in my school complained about last year. And then they were freaking out because they couldn't log on, and it turned out that they were trying to log on before the site was open. Idiots couldn't look at their watches.

There's one site that everyone views them on, right? It opens at a certain time and then gets really clogged because all the IB students worldwide try to log on at the same time. That's what people in my school complained about last year. And then they were freaking out because they couldn't log on, and it turned out that they were trying to log on before the site was open. Idiots couldn't look at their watches.

The site is always open :P Maybe they were just idiots.

Yeah that's what I meant, that the time for our school hadn't yet opened and so they were calling each other in a panic.

What's the whole thing with exams and timezones, I don't get that. Let's say I take my History exam at 9 in the morning, and then call someone in America who is 10 hours behind me in time to tell them what exactly is on the exam because they haven't yet taken it. I'm sure the IB has something in place to stop that from happening. Or do they rely on me being "morally responsible" and not calling anyone?

Yeah that's what I meant, that the time for our school hadn't yet opened and so they were calling each other in a panic.

What's the whole thing with exams and timezones, I don't get that. Let's say I take my History exam at 9 in the morning, and then call someone in America who is 10 hours behind me in time to tell them what exactly is on the exam because they haven't yet taken it. I'm sure the IB has something in place to stop that from happening. Or do they rely on me being "morally responsible" and not calling anyone?

Why the **** would you? 1) You'd give them an advantage for no benefit and 2) since grades are "bell curved", the better other candidates do relative to you, the worse you do i.e. if a ton of people got really high marks, you'd only be screwing yourself over as now the grade boundaries are higher.

They have regional papers in many subjects, maybe all. I know for a fact that there are different ones for History, but I think they have them in nearly all the subjects to prevent just that from happening. Anyway, rest assured that the IB -never- relies on students being morally responsible!

They have regional papers in many subjects, maybe all. I know for a fact that there are different ones for History, but I think they have them in nearly all the subjects to prevent just that from happening. Anyway, rest assured that the IB -never- relies on students being morally responsible!

QFT.

They have TZ1 and TZ2 papers... just take a peek at past papers and you'll see it.

TZ0 papers means everyone writes the same one.

Now I get it if they have 2 timezones. And I wouldn't call anyone to tell them about exams, I don't help people cheat. It was just a hypothetical question, since I can imagine that other people have thought about it too.