How can I prepare for IB?

EllaS02

I'm currently on my summer break, and will be starting IB next year. I feel mostly prepared, but I will be taking two new subjects that I'm unfamiliar with: Economics and Biology. I currently have my Biology study guide and my Economics one is on the way. Does anyone have any advice on what I should study from these that will give me a head-start for IB? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is true. The IBDP is a very demanding and stressful course, so enjoy the holidays and peace when you still have it. It will most probably be the last time you have a proper break without having to worry about deadlines and everything else. But if you still want to make sure you start the IB prepared, make sure you organize yourself well, i.e. having the right supplies, a calendar, study apps (Khan Academy, Quizlet etc.). That's about the most you can do to get a headstart...

Also if Bio is a new subject for you, try not taking it at HL because Bio HL is too much work, especially if you're new to it. But this depends on how much work you're willing to put in, whether you've got a good teacher etc. One of my classmates made this mistake and he is struggling big time (we're only 6 months in tho, so he still has time). 

As for Eco, I was also very new to it, but I choose Eco HL anyways. Fortunately, I've got a great teacher and for now, it seems manageable. Although Eco HL requires you to be good at math so yeah, just keep that in mind. 

On 12/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, Lord of the Pickles said:

Honestly don't bother getting a head start, many people will have little to no background in what they're studying. Just enjoy your summer.