IB HL course

I'm a student who's taking Physics HL.(11th-grade 1st year of IB)

So far, I had 4 unit tests that I have taken and got the grade on it. My test scores are not stable. First unit test, 6, second unit test, 2, third unit test, 7, fourth unit test 3. 

I was really depressed when I got the last test which is 3, and my parents weren't happy at all. They are considering me to quit IB because I got 2 two grades that are lower than 3, and they said that I failed IB. For the last test, I also understand that I couldn't get enough time to study or I didn't study enough. Because I was sick for 1 week, and I didn't have free day 2 days before the test, and I only have one day to study(I started studying a week ago) Also, my sister is really smart and she gets really good grades so my parents think that all people are like my sister in term of how smart you are.

The question is if it true that if I get 2 grades that are lower than 3 in HL, do I fail the IBDP? and even if it not fail, am I able to catch up the grade if I keep getting a good grade from now?

Hi man,

Cheer up! It is not the end of the world to get 2 grades lower than 3 in HL. I once got a 4 in Geography and I am alive and well. From what I know, only when you get a score of 1 in a single subject will you fail ib.

I am a Physics HL student as well (12th grade), and I would say that physics HL is not difficult if you have a good teacher and you understand all the concepts involved. Practice a lot before exams can help as well! In this way, you can definitely get higher scores!

Hope you can be well in your exams!

• 1 month later...

Hey!

Firstly, it is really cool to see that you're from Belgium, I also study here :D. Getting on to what your post was talking about, when you are talking about your sister, I completely relate to you. My brother ended up with a 40/45 and he was sick during the 1st week of his exams, he was thinking about retaking to get his score even higher but got into the university he wanted to so decided not to. That leads to put a lot of pressure on people like me and you in your case. For the first part of the year I kept all the emotions within me and was scared to tell my parents, as in 10th grade if I would get a grade below a 5 they would be disappointed. Emotions were building up because I had just moved, no friends, IB itself is very stressful etc. It was until one day these emotions just busted out while my brother was visiting from university. We had such a long talk and the main message was: everyone is different and learns in different ways. My brother didn't really study too much, but I do.

When looking at your grades, YOU GOT A 7! That's insanely good, and it shows that you can do it! Not to mention your 6. Those two tests show that you can do it, that you are more then capable of passing IB, in fact excelling. You have to keep in mind that IB HL Physics is rated as one of the most intense IB courses offered. Rarely people get 7s in the class, just do your best and you will be more then fine.

Lastly, it is important to know that the tests you take in school lead to your school grades, the things that affect your IB grades are your exams in 2020 and IAs. I've had friends who had 3s throughout their school years and 2-3 months before their mocks they started to study a lot, and hard. They ended up with scores such as 36/45, which is still good. Now i'm not saying to do that haha, the tests are still important, it is good to see where you stand. Just saying it to reassure you. 

Good luck! And maybe one day our paths will cross, since you are in Belgium too. I go to ISB, maybe we even know eachother :)

-Jarz

• 4 weeks later...

I would say that physics HL is not difficult if you have a good teacher and you understand all the concepts involved. Practice a lot before exams can help as well! In this way, you can definitely get higher scores!

On 12/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, IBJuniorStudent2018 said:

I'm a student who's taking Physics HL.(11th-grade 1st year of IB)

So far, I had 4 unit tests that I have taken and got the grade on it. My test scores are not stable. First unit test, 6, second unit test, 2, third unit test, 7, fourth unit test 3. 

I was really depressed when I got the last test which is 3, and my parents weren't happy at all. They are considering me to quit IB because I got 2 two grades that are lower than 3, and they said that I failed IB. For the last test, I also understand that I couldn't get enough time to study or I didn't study enough. Because I was sick for 1 week, and I didn't have free day 2 days before the test, and I only have one day to study(I started studying a week ago) Also, my sister is really smart and she gets really good grades so my parents think that all people are like my sister in term of how smart you are.

The question is if it true that if I get 2 grades that are lower than 3 in HL, do I fail the IBDP? and even if it not fail, am I able to catch up the grade if I keep getting a good grade from now?

I want to say that physics HL is not as difficult as you think. For getting a high grade you have to practice more and understand all the concepts of Physics HL. If you are not practicing by yourself you should take IB Tuition for scoring good marks.

Keep Practicing Good Luck...

On 12/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, IBJuniorStudent2018 said: